• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

117 Hospitalized after Drinking Holy Water

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:53 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 262 Total Views

Russian Orthodox Followers in Irkutsk Sickened with Intestinal Pain after Taking Water from Church

•  (CBS/AP)

(AP)  More than 100 Russian Orthodox believers have been hospitalized after drinking holy water during Epiphany celebrations in the eastern city of Irkutsk, an official said Monday.

A total of 117 people, including 48 children, were in the hospital complaining of acute intestinal pain after drinking water from wells in and around a local church last week, said Vladimir Salovarov, a spokesman for the Irkutsk Investigative Committee.

Salovarov said 204 people required some medical treatment after consuming the water, the source of which was a stagnant lake. He said, however, that it was too early to say what caused the illness.

Many Russians consider any water obtained on Epiphany - which they celebrate on Jan. 19 - to be holy.

The water is typically bottled for consumption later. Tap water in most of Russia is undrinkable.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
lizzybugsmomma
by Group Admin on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:43 PM

not make light of the situation, but the Catholic church could make some money by marketing bottled holy water in Russia..

ToraMay
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:29 PM

I'm sorry... that just sounds funny. 

lizzybugsmomma
by Group Admin on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:40 PM

I just re read the  story.. so the bottle dirty unclean water on Epiphany of the year to consume later?  ok.. that just doesn't make much sense to me..

joci2203
by Group Owner on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Sounds a bit ironic.

babyfat5
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:57 PM

The water must not have been properly blessed.

Oh, I just think it is funny. When I was a kid and I mean little kid they always used to tell us not to drink the holy water because people put their dirty hands in it. I guess different religions handle holy water differently?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)