Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PCP and 8 year olds

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:55 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 457 Total Views

Local 8-year-olds hospitalized after consuming PCP

Two Kennydale Elementary students were hospitalized Thursday after ingesting PCP after school, Renton police said.

By Andrew Doughman

Seattle Times staff reporter

Related

Two Kennydale Elementary students were hospitalized Thursday after ingesting PCP after school, Renton police said.

The Renton Police Department got a call about 7:45 p.m. that two 8-year-old cousins were at Valley Medical Center after one of their parents became concerned they had ingested some kind of drug.

Once in the hospital, the physicians ran several tests, and it was confirmed both children had consumed PCP, the drug phencyclidine, a white crystalline powder that is readily soluble in water.

A Valley Medical Center physician told Renton police at 9:30 p.m. that the two children were expected to be "OK." Both were at home recovering Friday, said Randy Matheson, executive director of community relations for the Renton School District.

The children were taken to the hospital after the mother found an empty glass vial in one child's pocket. She told police the cousins had consumed liquid that had been inside. She also said she had smelled the vial and thought it smelled like PCP.

The cousins told police a 7-year-old had given them the vial. When police talked to the child, the boy said that he had found it in a playground and did not know what it contained.

Questions on content

Police asked the cousins about the contents of the vial, and they described it as full of "yellow liquid." One 8-year-old told police he had poured half the bottle onto his hand, and then licked it. The other 8-year-old said he then drank the remaining liquid

Police could not confirm the exact playground where the vial was found or whether the child brought it onto school grounds.

"My understanding now is that the kids found it at a park and it has nothing to do with the school," Matheson, of the school district, said.

Awaiting information

He said the school district is waiting to hear more from police, but the district likely will follow-up by mailing a letter home to parents and directing teachers to spend time talking to students about safety.

advertising

Terri Vickers, the Renton Police Department public-information officer, said reports involving PCP are rare.

"There are certainly drugs everywhere; there's no question about that," she said. "PCP is not one that we see very often."

Vickers said Renton police see marijuana, methamphetamine and OxyContin much more frequently than PCP.

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mommibee
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Wow...now 8 year olds are doing drugs?  I am always having the drug talk with my oldest son to the point where I think he gets annoyed. lol  I never thought about discussing PCP.  I even have peyote covered and I don't live anywhere near a desert.

girlsclubmom
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Ugh - what will we have to worry about next. Poor kid.

MyLittleMan6405
by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Quoting mommibee:

Wow...now 8 year olds are doing drugs?  I am always having the drug talk with my oldest son to the point where I think he gets annoyed. lol  I never thought about discussing PCP.  I even have peyote covered and I don't live anywhere near a desert.

Good for you!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)