Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP ~ Cat had an accident and it stinks!! (PIOG)

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:37 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 341 Total Views

Apparently the cat got into my parent's room (we have a spare bedroom that we keep as their bedroom for when they come to visit) and she had an accident under their bed... at least I think it is under the bed.  If not, it is in the corner ~ either way, there are two spots on the carpet the look wet and the odor of cat urine is VERY strong!  It is simply disgusting and I need to remove it pronto because my youngest DD and I are both severly asthmatic and have allergies ~ it has been killing me to try and clean this spot.

So far I have used some pet product we had for removing odors, baking soda and hydrogen peroxide... it still wreaks in there!!  Does anyone have any home rememdies or ideas as to what I can do to get the odor out?

Thank you so much in advance!!

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Sarah_Janine
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:29 PM

I am not sure what else to use that you havent already, but if it has been there for a bit it could have soaked through to the carpet pad and into whatever the flooring beneath it is. If that is the case, you may not be able to get it out without taking the carpet up. I know my parents had that problem with one of our cats, and they ended up having to just replace the carpet because it had gotten down to the hardwood below. Sorry, not more help.

my_lovely
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:41 PM

do you have a carpet cleaner of any kind? Those work really well, you can even rent them from some grocery stores now. It may take a few times but it should help. Air out the room for a few days if you can. Cats are really good at getting cat pee every where, it may be on the bedding, or curtains, that could be why the smell is sticking around. Even a cat pee can leave a room smelling bad for quite a while. Also, try Febreze, and Febreze the heck out of that room. I love Febreze that stuff works like magic at getting rid of a smell.

Good Luck!! 

p88hbear
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Someone from Susie Homemaker group suggested a spray bottle of straight vinegar and opening the windows... do this treatment a few times and perhaps it will take the smell out.  I have cleaned and scrub the stew out of it which has torn up my asthma but it's worth it to get the smell out.

I do have a carpet cleaner and I will definitely be doing the entire room sans furniture when my husband is off this week.  I figured if the smell isn't gone by then, someone told me about a little black light CSI type kit to find the exact spot and treat it.

Group Owner ~ Soup to Nuts & Everything in Between

Group Admin ~ Married After Only A Few Months

p88hbear
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:58 PM

I am pleased to announce, that after a month of constant cleaning ~ I finally got it out!!!

Follow me to the new group Everything Chef Ramsay!

my_lovely
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:14 PM

You know, I was wondering when you were going to update, lol. Glad to hear you got the smell out. Cat pee gives me awful headaches, I used to have a cat that would constantly have accidents.

Quoting p88hbear:

I am pleased to announce, that after a month of constant cleaning ~ I finally got it out!!!

p88hbear
by on Feb. 25, 2010 at 8:12 AM

It was tearing up my asthma, as well as our youngest... it was just awful!  Now I can have the door open (hate living with all the doors and curtains closed) ~ but there is a baby gate at the end of the hall, just in case... lol.

Oh ~ and we rehomed the cat who was leaving such presents to a farm... she adopted us when she was pregnant... after she had her kittens and weaned them, she spent her days trying to go outside... we thought it was safer for her at farm then in and out in the city... we did keep one of the kittens and she is wonderfully loving and well behaved.

Quoting my_lovely:

You know, I was wondering when you were going to update, lol. Glad to hear you got the smell out. Cat pee gives me awful headaches, I used to have a cat that would constantly have accidents.

Quoting p88hbear:

Follow me to the new group Everything Chef Ramsay!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)