Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Having problems sticking to GD diet ,NEED HELP!!

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 5:13 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 475 Total Views
ok so i am 32 weeks pregnant with my second child and have known i have had GD since i was 28 weeks pregnant. i have been doing pretty good staying away from the sweets but, i can never seem to get full off the diet so i tend to eat more and i still drink sweet tea! i have truly been trying to stick with the diet and i am still eating alot of fruits and veggies and i only eat lean white meat and seafood , but it is just the issue of eating more and sometimes indulging in chinese food ! but sugar doesn't get very high , it stays under 130 most of the time and my sugar when i first wake up is between 70-85 . so my question is, if my sugars are staying really good is it ok to still eat like this ? and has anyone else not followed the diet directly like they were suppose to and still had average size babies ? replies are very much appreciated!

by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MommyTails
by on Jun. 22, 2009 at 8:44 AM

If you indulge in something sugary once in a while you will be all right, but remember that it is not only your health you need to think about. I was very careful not to have more carbs than I was allowed and my son was 8lbs 1 oz. since he was over 8 lbs they had to do diabetes screening on him every hour for the first 5 hours of his life. It was just heartbreaking to watch his poor litle heel turning black and blue with all the pricking. But he was healthy and healed quickly. It certainly isn't something he was scarred by or will even remember.

Lilypie - (1Ust)

Mimomof3boys
by on Jun. 22, 2009 at 8:49 AM

I agree with the PP, it is ok to do it o nce in a while but not everyday. Your baby is going to feed off that sugar and put on weight (trust me I have huge babies! LOL!)

When eating your meals have more veggies and meat.

Good luck. I know it is not easy. This is my third GD baby.

autumnsmom1128
by on Jun. 22, 2009 at 9:32 AM
thank you all!
verybestmommy
by Group Owner on Jun. 30, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Everyone's body tolerates things differently.  You may find that as you get further along it's harder to control your sugars.  Sometimes it gets BETTER at the very end...so basically just do your best, if you find that you have more than one reading that is over your limit in a week, you probably need to re-evaluate your diet.  I had major problems with my lunch readings during my second GD pregnancy, every other meal would be perfectly fine but my lunch readings were always high at least twice a week.  My dietician cut me down to 45 grams of carbs for lunch and I would be STARVING.  She tweaked my diet again and added more protein to my breakfast and morning snack and that made a big difference for me.  So don't be afraid to call your dr. and ask for help.  They are usually more than willing to help you out and work with you to find a good balance.  Be honest, tell them that you are having trouble with the diet, they can give you great suggestions to help you get the things you are craving in moderation of course :o)

autumnsmom1128
by on Jul. 1, 2009 at 12:32 AM
thank you for your advise i will ask my doctor next week about it:) i am just scared the way i am going i will have to have a c-section and have a big baby!

SaraM0412
by on Jul. 1, 2009 at 3:41 AM

wow! you know what? I feel so damn deprived!

You get 40+ carbs for a meal? wow! even with 6 units of fast acting insulin .. if I have more than 18 carbs at BF (with a fasting # of, lets say 88... which i LOW for me).. my sugars SHOOT up!

during the day I can have more snacks and at lunch I can usually eat more it seems.. but I have no clue as to how mnay carbs Im consuming .. I just mix it up .. with fat, carbs, protein.... all that ...I dont do the fast acting insulin for lunch cuz for some reason my body levels out by itself pretty good during the day ..

but then .. for dinner.. wow! my #s almost double sometimes.. I REALLY have to watch what I eat at night .. it seems like Im getting almost NO carbs at dinner! and I always need a snack before bed...

last night I went to be with 130 (did my 12 units of extended insulin) .. and when I woke up at 4 to pee. I was starving.. so, I had a small scoop of BP and 2 sips on LF milk... and then when I tested at 830 I was at 91!!!

I just had some oatmeal cuz all my dishes and pots and pans are dirty and I dont feel like cleaning them to make eggs... so, we will see what my # is like in half an hour .. which is my "1hr reading"....

I think the most carbs Im getting in a day is like 45 .. MAYBE .. and from what Ive read, even for a non pregnant woman, that is ok.... my diet consists of veggies, fruits, chicken, eggs, WG bread, water, pepsi one..with splenda (YAY for this product), LF milk, 100 cal pacs, LF yogurt, WG pasta with parm, steamed veggies too! grilled sandwitched (halves) and nuts!

SaraM0412
by on Jul. 1, 2009 at 4:51 AM

ok ..so, I was 91 before I ate the oatmeal.. (I did 6 units of fast acting insulin) .....   an hour after I started eating the oatmeal.. I am 107!

THATS GOOD!

but .. tell me, why is it that the other day I was 88 when I started earting the oatmeal and 1hr after eating it I was 160? wtf?

and... there is NO way that I can mess up my insulin dosage! it is an innolet insulin dial pen! and I wash my hands before each testing!!! and, they were at the same times of the day ...

the only thing I didn different today., is I did dishes (which requires standing) after I ate..

so, whats gives?

Molafishlover
by on Jul. 1, 2009 at 1:55 PM

My dietician told me that if I was hungry after eating all of my allotted carbs, to have some more protein. So for me, I will add some chicken nuggets to my fruit snack to help keep me full. I haven't had much of a hunger issue, but as the weeks progress things that treated me well last month are too much now. If you can enjoy sweet tea now (I am a little jealous) enjoy it because it might not sit well later :)

Also, you want to make sure you don't get too few carbs or your ketones might get too high, which is like poison for you and baby.

Molafishlover
by on Jul. 1, 2009 at 2:02 PM

Quoting SaraM0412:

ok ..so, I was 91 before I ate the oatmeal.. (I did 6 units of fast acting insulin) .....   an hour after I started eating the oatmeal.. I am 107!

THATS GOOD!

but .. tell me, why is it that the other day I was 88 when I started earting the oatmeal and 1hr after eating it I was 160? wtf?

and... there is NO way that I can mess up my insulin dosage! it is an innolet insulin dial pen! and I wash my hands before each testing!!! and, they were at the same times of the day ...

the only thing I didn different today., is I did dishes (which requires standing) after I ate..

so, whats gives?

Doing the dishes might have been enough activity to help bring down your sugars. My Dr wants me to walk 10-15 minutes after every meal to bring my spike down. My general Dr said he read an article that walking just 20 minutes a day can lower your number 30 points.

I try to walk (waddle) or do something slightly active like empty the dishwasher or do a load of laundry and it does seem to keep my numbers lower than when I just veg on the couch after eating.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)