Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NOT DILATED HELP!!!

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:06 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 598 Total Views
ok so i am 39 weeks and 3 days today . i go into see my doc this morning and he tells me i am still not dilated ,baby is at a -3 station(really high up) and still only 50 % effaced(which i have been since 35 weeks.) he told me that if he was to induce me right now that i have a high chance of getting a c/s because of the fact that he is not engaged and i am not dilated. he also made me aware that because i have gestational diabetes that if i did have a c/s that i have a higher risk of bleeding and developing infection. so i go monday for a non stress test and to check amniotic fluid and they are going to tell me when they are inducing since they dont want me to get to 41 weeks because of my gestational diabetes . so i am wondering if anyone else has been in this type or similar situation and if so how did things turn out? i am terrified , i am scared for myself and my son. and i want to be healthy for my daughter and son. please help me!
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Jack04
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 8:34 AM

Most pregnant diabetic and those with GD are induced at 38-39 weeks.  I was induced at 39 weeks.  My son got stuck in what my doctor called my petite and slightly tilted pelvis and after 15 hours of pretty intense labor I did have a c-section, but Jackson was born healthy and without complications. 

I will be having a planned c-section with this one because of the pelvis issue and not wanting to be induced again for nothing

Malloryanneh
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 9:48 AM

I am having a c-section at 39 weeks because of diabetes as well.  My doctor never mentioned there is an increased risk of bleeding and infection DUE to the diabetes I think he just meant with any surgery that would be an additional risk. 

Also I was told from the beginning I wouldn't go past 39 weeks so I'm not sure why they would let you go to 41.  If I were you after getting a NST test with measurements and weight estament of the baby make your decision. 

If the baby is close to 9 pounds or 4200 grams I would opt for the c-section if not and you really wanted a vaginal birth induce and try but you might just end up with one in the end anyway.  Good luck!

First time mom due in August. 

autumnsmom1128
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 11:30 AM
Quoting Malloryanneh:

I am having a c-section at 39 weeks because of diabetes as well.  My doctor never mentioned there is an increased risk of bleeding and infection DUE to the diabetes I think he just meant with any surgery that would be an additional risk. 

Also I was told from the beginning I wouldn't go past 39 weeks so I'm not sure why they would let you go to 41.  If I were you after getting a NST test with measurements and weight estament of the baby make your decision. 

If the baby is close to 9 pounds or 4200 grams I would opt for the c-section if not and you really wanted a vaginal birth induce and try but you might just end up with one in the end anyway.  Good luck!

well they are not letting me get to 41 but they are letting me go a couple days over 40 weeks. they said that my GD is mild and my doc doesn't really want me to get a c/s. but if i have to i understand . it is just terrifying ,the thought of surgery period.
Mom2Jack04
by on Aug. 16, 2009 at 9:52 AM

I know it's scary but it really went well for me.  I had an epidural during the labor and opted to have the SPINAL on top of that for the c-section....I was 100% numb from the chest down.  Didn't feel a darn thing.  It wore off about 2 hours afterwards and I was finally able to get into my room after that and hold Jackson properly, that time kinda sucks, but on the c-section board many ladies that the recovery time with their epidural was worse.

By the next morning (I had him at 9:30pm) they removed the catherter and I was able to get up.  I won't lie to you, getting up hurts like hell, the first time it took me at least a half hour.  BUT, I forced myself to keep getting up and each time it hurt less and I got up quicker.  By dinnertime I was hopping out of bed like nothing happened!  I walked around the halls a lot and took a shower that day as well.  The medication was still there enough the next morning when they removed my staples, didn't even feel it.

My doctor did a good amount of suctioning and rather than weeks of heavy bleeding I bled for 6 days!  Recovery for me was great.  I was back to myself 2 weeks later, until I had Kidney Stones, LOL....but that's another story.  But recovery from the c-section for me was 2 weeks, we even began sex again after that!

Mommy_Foster
by on Aug. 16, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Walk Walk Walk... and Sex Sex Sex!! Semen is a natural way to soften the cervix... and walking will bring that baby down!! They tried to induce me with my first and all their meds didn't work so I got sent home with the Walk and Sex instructions... 36 hours later I was back at the hospital dilated to a 3... I am a firm believer!!! Sex and walk!!

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

pregnancy

autumnsmom1128
by on Aug. 16, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Quoting Mom2Jack04:

I know it's scary but it really went well for me.  I had an epidural during the labor and opted to have the SPINAL on top of that for the c-section....I was 100% numb from the chest down.  Didn't feel a darn thing.  It wore off about 2 hours afterwards and I was finally able to get into my room after that and hold Jackson properly, that time kinda sucks, but on the c-section board many ladies that the recovery time with their epidural was worse.

By the next morning (I had him at 9:30pm) they removed the catherter and I was able to get up.  I won't lie to you, getting up hurts like hell, the first time it took me at least a half hour.  BUT, I forced myself to keep getting up and each time it hurt less and I got up quicker.  By dinnertime I was hopping out of bed like nothing happened!  I walked around the halls a lot and took a shower that day as well.  The medication was still there enough the next morning when they removed my staples, didn't even feel it.

My doctor did a good amount of suctioning and rather than weeks of heavy bleeding I bled for 6 days!  Recovery for me was great.  I was back to myself 2 weeks later, until I had Kidney Stones, LOL....but that's another story.  But recovery from the c-section for me was 2 weeks, we even began sex again after that!

i mean, i don't know why i worry. i guess it's the fact that it is major surgery. all i care about is that we both come out healthy. i mean c/s are just as safe as natural birth now right?

SaraM0412
by on Aug. 16, 2009 at 11:49 AM

granted.. I would never opt for a csection over a vaginal birth ..  if you can have a vaginal birth (there are a TON of women in my due in sept group who have scheduled csections just so they have their babys on certain days.. which I think is LAME!) ..... BUT .. YES, csections are totally safe! More than 90% of women who have a csection go home 2 days later and (while you have lifting restrictions) feel perfectly fine! As if they had had a baby ... but no other surgical pain. <br>

<br>

Just be careful that IF your dr has you go full term .. IF he has you go past 40 weeks.... check the circulation and overall function of the placenta ... thats why my dr doesnt want me to go past 39 weeks (Im already at risk of placental failure) .. but, GD can raise chances of placental failure the further you go.... <br><br>

But, i wouldnt fret! Csection of vaginal.. your baby will be fine!! <br>

autumnsmom1128
by on Aug. 16, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Quoting SaraM0412:

granted.. I would never opt for a csection over a vaginal birth ..  if you can have a vaginal birth (there are a TON of women in my due in sept group who have scheduled csections just so they have their babys on certain days.. which I think is LAME!) ..... BUT .. YES, csections are totally safe! More than 90% of women who have a csection go home 2 days later and (while you have lifting restrictions) feel perfectly fine! As if they had had a baby ... but no other surgical pain.

Just be careful that IF your dr has you go full term .. IF he has you go past 40 weeks.... check the circulation and overall function of the placenta ... thats why my dr doesnt want me to go past 39 weeks (Im already at risk of placental failure) .. but, GD can raise chances of placental failure the further you go....

But, i wouldnt fret! Csection of vaginal.. your baby will be fine!!

i go in tomorrow to check amniotic level and do an NST and i wonder if i tell them i would like to get induced tomorrow because of all the risks if they will? i go in at 830 am do you think they will go ahead and induce me? what do i tell them so i can go tomorrow?

Mom2Jack04
by on Aug. 17, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Yeah see the reason we are typically induced at 38-39 weeks is stated best at womenshealth.com :

Delivery itself may be more difficult, and the need for Caesarean delivery is more frequent. If natural labor and delivery has not occurred by 38 weeks of pregnancy, your doctor probably may recommend inducing labor or delivering by surgery to avoid macrosomia.

But with diabetes your placenta can deteriorate sooner, as well as the amniotic fluid can be too high or to low.

After birth he or she will be tested for a few hours or up to a day for low blood sugar, as your baby may produce too much insulin and have low blood sugar after birth.  This didn't happen with my son as I had wonderful control.  So try to be careful not to have higher blood sugar levels close to birth.  Babies of moms with GD or diabetes are more likely to have Jaundice as well.  Jackson did have a slight case of jaundice and went under the light for about an hour.

The only other problem my son had, which I don't think was diabetes related because it runs on my moms side of the family....was VSD.  Which is a tiny hole between the ventricles.  His closed on his own by the time he was 1 year!

SaraM0412
by on Aug. 17, 2009 at 1:08 PM
Quoting autumnsmom1128:

Quoting SaraM0412:

granted.. I would never opt for a csection over a vaginal birth ..  if you can have a vaginal birth (there are a TON of women in my due in sept group who have scheduled csections just so they have their babys on certain days.. which I think is LAME!) ..... BUT .. YES, csections are totally safe! More than 90% of women who have a csection go home 2 days later and (while you have lifting restrictions) feel perfectly fine! As if they had had a baby ... but no other surgical pain.

Just be careful that IF your dr has you go full term .. IF he has you go past 40 weeks.... check the circulation and overall function of the placenta ... thats why my dr doesnt want me to go past 39 weeks (Im already at risk of placental failure) .. but, GD can raise chances of placental failure the further you go....

But, i wouldnt fret! Csection of vaginal.. your baby will be fine!!

i go in tomorrow to check amniotic level and do an NST and i wonder if i tell them i would like to get induced tomorrow because of all the risks if they will? i go in at 830 am do you think they will go ahead and induce me? what do i tell them so i can go tomorrow?

The most you can do is express your concern and your fear and let the dr know your level of stress... dont demand anything! Some drs, if they see that a situation is causing more stress than not (and youre at a point of viability) may just induce. But, dont go in with expectations that youll be having your baby for sure... in the longrun (even if you dont see it) youre dr knows what he is doing and will make the best decision based off of your ultrasounds.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)