Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Numbers after snack

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:58 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 210 Total Views

Before getting pregnant my sugar was always low.  It still gets low sometimes.  Well I was feeling low shortly after my snack, so I decided to take my sugar.  It was about 1 1/2 hours after my snack and it was 129!  After meals, my number is never higher than 120 (it is supposed to be under 130) and it is usually in the low 100s.   I was never told that I should take my sugar after my snack, so my question is whether I should be concerned and whether I should adjust my snack?

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Mom2Jack04
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:28 PM

The guideline is 120 2 hours after meals, 129 1 1/2 hours after a snack sounds fine.  But when we are compensating for a low by eating it's normal to end up oercompensating and being slightly high.  I've done that and seen my bg level shoot up to 240!!!!  So 129 is not bad and I wouldn't adjust the snack, just adjust what you take for the low.....example if you feel low after a snack or meal most likely those carbs haven't entered your blood stream yet, so take ONE glucose tab just to help get you some FAST acting sugar, that should help and the snack carbs will then keep you up.

For example, today I was starving on the way home from a job (hubby and I own a carpet cleaning company), I quickly ate a piece of french bread pizza in my moms fridge and picked up my son, but by the time I got home I felt shaky and I was 71.....I knew the pizza I just finished didn't hit my blood stream to get it up so I took ONE tablet, the shakes went away and 2 hours later my reading was 94.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)