Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Get a lot of criticism?

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 5:30 PM
  • 19 Replies
  • 367 Total Views

I want to hear some stories of family/friends who critized you for "getting married/engaged/pregnant too soon" I can see why some would look down on my situation as I have been married before and I have two kids from that marriage but Michael is so different than any other man I have ever met. When you know you know...and trust me, I didn't know with my first but we already had a son so we just figured we'd do it and get it over with. We didn't have a wedding or anything, just went and signed the papers. It's so different with Michael and I couldn't be happier! Did anyone critize you?

bouncing momThings fall apart so that better things can fall together!

by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 5:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pageantgirl3
by Group Admin on Jan. 12, 2010 at 2:38 AM

Oh yeah they did. I went to basic and during basic, in my brother flight, I met a guy. We started dating and 3 weeks later he proposed. I said yes for reasons I don't really know. Anyways, I got pregnant and I broke it off right after I found out. I had just met Derick the week after I conceived. He became my best friend right away. As soon as I was out of the other relationship, Derick and I started dating. Everyone at work thought I was crazy, my mom thought I was crazy and told me I needed to marry the other guy because I was preggo with his son, Derick's family thought we were crazy and a big part of it was because I was preggo. We only told a select few people about us getting married. Most people at my work found out when I came into work one day with a different last name on my uniform lol. My dad and I didn't have a great relationship and he found out we got married about 3 weeks after it happened. He was very upset and thought I was crazy. Too bad he passed away before he could really get to know Derick. It truly was love at first sight with him and it still is. All those people telling us we were crazy and it wouldn't work but we have 2 beautiful babies, and even though we are going through an extremely stressful time, we are still very happy together.

Heather : Click here to read my weight loss story! Click the picture if you married/got engaged to your hubby within a year!

p88hbear
by on Jan. 12, 2010 at 10:26 AM

No one every came right out and said it but I heard it all around the office where I worked (Disney of all places) and you could see it in people's faces... but I didn't care one bit.  I was in love and knew more about my future husband than most of those women knew about their own significant others that they had been with for a much longer duration.

My husband and I met through an online dating service called "PlentyofFish.com" and the story is actually funny.  I saw his picture and read  his profile.  I thought he was wonderful but too attractive to ever be interested in me... but I sucked it up and sent him an email anyway.  I don't remember exactly what it says but he does!  He replied and then we both came down the flu and were chatting online for about a week.  When we were both feeling better we decided to meet one night after I got off work.  There was a Starbucks not but two blocks away from my office so on March 25th at 9 p.m., I pulled up and there he was, smiling from ear to ear.  The first words I ever heard my husband say to me were "You're perfect".

It was love at first sight and we've never gone a day without seeing each other ~ even last Thanksgiving when he had his appendix removed, I used my Disney charm to inform the nurses that I will be staying the night with my husband and I was there with him (his worst fear was going to the doctor and then having to have emergency surgery but not making it which is what happened to his father... it was his fear coming true but he made it out fine... I wasn't going to leave him alone to worry).  We got engaged on April 16th and were married on June 20th... a grand total of 87 days from first meeting until our wedding day.  Our 2 year anniversary is this year and we are still honeymooning!!

There is no time requirement on love and it happens at different speeds for different people.  When we went to talk to Pastor Larry about doing our ceremony he told us that... along with the fact that he has seen people together for years and it just doesn't work... but he also said that he knew people who had situations similar to ours and they are still together 40 plus years later.  Pastor Larry said that he could tell we had a great balance, communication and deep love for one another - something he wished for in more couples lives.

Group Owner ~ Soup to Nuts & Everything in Between

Group Admin ~ Married After Only A Few Months

manamott
by on Jan. 12, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Beautiful stories ladies! I love to hear this stuff. Just reassurance that I'm really not crazy!! lol :) You ladies are wonderful and sound so incredibly happy! I know I'll have that with my soon to be hubby!

bouncing momThings fall apart so that better things can fall together!

p88hbear
by on Jan. 13, 2010 at 9:33 AM

I have more single girlfriends wanting our marriage than I do people ridiculing it... now I have more people giving me a difficult time because I am a SAHM.  Apparently being a submissive wife, just like in the era of June Cleaver, is "setting us back" and that really burns my biscuits!

Whatever you decide to do, never doubt yourself and always be selfless in your actions... that is the greatest advice I can give you.  Those around you will return the love a million fold.  I promise.

Group Owner ~ Soup to Nuts & Everything in Between

Group Admin ~ Married After Only A Few Months

pageantgirl3
by Group Admin on Jan. 13, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Oh I know the feeling, and forget about being a WAH mom. My FIL thinks that I shouldn't do anyrhing except take care of the kids and cook and clean. I guess I'm not supposed to go on the computer or even play a video game for a few minutes because its neglecting the kids. I don't hear any crying but when they do, I stop what I'm doing. Sorry, there was a little vent in there.

Quoting p88hbear:

I have more single girlfriends wanting our marriage than I do people ridiculing it... now I have more people giving me a difficult time because I am a SAHM.  Apparently being a submissive wife, just like in the era of June Cleaver, is "setting us back" and that really burns my biscuits!

Whatever you decide to do, never doubt yourself and always be selfless in your actions... that is the greatest advice I can give you.  Those around you will return the love a million fold.  I promise.

Heather : Click here to read my weight loss story! Click the picture if you married/got engaged to your hubby within a year!

AMom29
by New Member on Jan. 13, 2010 at 11:05 AM

I don't remember too much.  My parents weren't too happy, but that was because they didn't like him.  They still run hot and cold about DH.

My mom wanted me engaged to HER pick at 15 (he was 21), so the age didn't matter much.

a wedding website

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

starrsun
by New Member on Jan. 13, 2010 at 11:37 AM

My mother thought I was making the BIGGEST mistake ever;as did my oldest daughter(15@ the time,LOL)....here we are,almost 9yrs.later...OUR oldest daughter thinks daddy walks on water! He adopted both of them and altho they both know he isn't their bio father,he is DADDY and always will be!! Mother,on the other hand,still thinks our marriage is/was a mistake...her loss!

JSA8914
by on Jan. 14, 2010 at 8:31 PM

We got talked about and at because it seemed like we barely knew each other to anyone on the outside looking in.  But, we also heard from my grandma bc we got married at the JOP instead of a Catholic church, and from just about everyone bc I was marrying a man in the Army.  The biggest thing, though, that we heard was that if we cared so much about each other we would wait to get married and not just run off like we did.

Babygurl8201
by New Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 9:07 AM

No one in my family cared..They love my DH and they love his son that I have adopted...We were together 1year and 1month when we got married..We were engaged 4months after we got together, but I wanted a Halloween wedding and his divorce was not final until one month before we got married..Him and his ex we apart for a few months when I met him..She left him and their son to move out of state with a new boyfriend, but she would never come to court..So I got him a good lawyer..lol..We also started trying to have a baby 2 months after we got together, but I did not tell my family that..And I found out I was preggers in July and we got married in October..

But my parents we only together 6months when they got married..So they could not say anything if the wanted to..lol... When you know you just know..How long you have been with someone really does not matter at all...

Lovin my life as their Mommy and his wife

in lovebackpacktoddler boy

so1986
by Group Owner on Jan. 19, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Yeah they did. We met in AIT (it's a year long) and got  married when he was half way done. Everyone said we wouldn't make it more than a couple of months, but we've been married a year and a half. My dad didn't like it, however I ignored him. My mom was happy. My husband had to convince his close friends I wasn't pregnant (I wasn't).

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)