Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want to hear some stories of family/friends who critized you for "getting married/engaged/pregnant too soon" I can see why some would look down on my situation as I have been married before and I have two kids from that marriage but Michael is so different than any other man I have ever met. When you know you know...and trust me, I didn't know with my first but we already had a son so we just figured we'd do it and get it over with. We didn't have a wedding or anything, just went and signed the papers. It's so different with Michael and I couldn't be happier! Did anyone critize you?

bouncing momThings fall apart so that better things can fall together!

by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 5:30 PM
Replies (11-19):
Armygirl2299703
by Member on Jan. 23, 2010 at 2:56 AM

I'm not yet married but we're on our way to engagement. He's in the Army...we've known each other for almost 8yrs and have wanted to be together for some time now, going on 3months now and we just know we're right for each other and want to be together forever.I'm working on getting moved down to where he's stationed.

My mom is HUGE on not supporting us being together....all because he's Army! She thinks I should go be with my exbf from Jr High all because we'd been talking about being together again awhile ago and he was going to move here to be with me.Tho instead he went out and found a gf and blew all his savings that were meant for the move.Haha, I think he made his choice so I moved on.I'm moving to be with him regardless of what she says for or against him because we know it's right for us.Sadly I'm used to her lack of support..I got the same when I told her I was pregnant 3yrs ago..she moved on from that & now loves her granddaughter and keeps asking me to give her custody and go be with my bf on my own.As if that'll happen...he's supportive of me having a child and wants to do everything for her that a father should do since her father doesn't care.I know in time she'll get over this too when she realizes how happy we are with him in our lives.We already make each other so happy, even in a long distance relationship..hopefully come the end of March tho I'll be moved down there.Lucky for us tho his family is very supportive of anything he chooses to do and he's close with them so I'm sure we'll have no issues from that side..

I am a single mom to a wonderful lil princess named Lyric Marie....I am also the gf of a very handsome/loving/caring soldier whom I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with.

Armygirl2299703
by Member on Jan. 23, 2010 at 3:11 AM

I'm getting the same lecture from my mom all the time because my hubby is Army...oh well, I'm going, we're gonna be happy & get married regardless of anything she says.Glad his family supports all he does tho.Unlike my mom, his mother does realize her son is a 30yr old man and not a child and will do whatever he wants regardless.

Quoting JSA8914:

We got talked about and at because it seemed like we barely knew each other to anyone on the outside looking in.  But, we also heard from my grandma bc we got married at the JOP instead of a Catholic church, and from just about everyone bc I was marrying a man in the Army.  The biggest thing, though, that we heard was that if we cared so much about each other we would wait to get married and not just run off like we did.

I am a single mom to a wonderful lil princess named Lyric Marie....I am also the gf of a very handsome/loving/caring soldier whom I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with.

nomadbrat83
by on Feb. 2, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I had one friend of mine who is like a big brother to me who was certain that it had to be a shotgun wedding, i.e. I must be pregnant (actually we became pregnant with DD on our 1 year wedding anniversary).  I actually told my parents that I was going to marry my husband one day even before we started dating.  WE met in Italy when I was visiting some friends but didn't keep in contact, in Feb 2005, he pcsed to Tampa where i was living and moved in with my sister and ex brother-in-law while he was looking for a place to live.  We started dating with a week or two or him moving there, got engaged about a month later and got married June 18, 2005 and everyone tells us they wish they had as great a marriage as we do.  Also my parents got married after dating for 9 months and that was 35 years ago and they are still happily married, 

Devoted wife to Joe, mommy to Isabel, and expecting #2!

Cavalrybaby02
by New Member on Feb. 15, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Not really.  I think they see how happy we are and don't say much.  Plus  my parents got married faster than we did (within a month) and they've been married 35 years.

lexismum03
by Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:28 PM

No one really said anything. Me and my hubby got together March 12 2007 got married March 12, 2008! We discussed getting married at around 6 months. He bought a ring and propsed new years eve. And he HAD to get married on our 1 year( I think his way of only having to remember one day lol). Everyone knew we were happy! He is the greatest man I have ever been with. He loves me and my dd unconditionally. He has been around since she was 3. IDK if his mom was real sure about the idea. but then again about a month after we got together she told him she thought I was the one. So I think we had support from both sides.

JMcCarty
by on Feb. 23, 2010 at 8:10 PM

I met Chad when I went on a lunch break from work. He was working at the italian restaurant I loved going to and he was my waiter. He forgot to put my order in! The way he apologized was so cute that he got a very large tip and my phone number. He called that night and ask what he was supposed to do with that much money and I said he could use it to take me out. No excuse for him that way! So we went out, and then out again, and again, and again... Everything fell into place real quick and when I finally said I love you he let out a sigh of relief and said, "Thank God you said that. I've been wanting to say it for weeks!" We were going to marry before he left for the military, but his mom threw a HUGE fit and he ended up leaving early, so now we're waiting for him to get home. 

As far as the criticism goes, it's mostly from his family. Though it's strange that they say anything when his dad is twice his mother's age and they went through a lot of criticism yet are still together. They of all people should understand...

hummingbird86
by Member on Mar. 8, 2010 at 1:34 AM

My mom STILL to this day reminds me all the time that I "settled" because I wasn't willing to spend the time finding someone worthy of me. I don't think I settled at all, I think I found the man that I was meant to spend the rest of my life with and I was not willing to wait another moment to do so : ) Lord knows he drives me crazy but I love him now and forever.

hummingbird86
by Member on Mar. 8, 2010 at 1:35 AM

Quoting JMcCarty:

I met Chad when I went on a lunch break from work. He was working at the italian restaurant I loved going to and he was my waiter. He forgot to put my order in! The way he apologized was so cute that he got a very large tip and my phone number. He called that night and ask what he was supposed to do with that much money and I said he could use it to take me out. No excuse for him that way! So we went out, and then out again, and again, and again... Everything fell into place real quick and when I finally said I love you he let out a sigh of relief and said, "Thank God you said that. I've been wanting to say it for weeks!" We were going to marry before he left for the military, but his mom threw a HUGE fit and he ended up leaving early, so now we're waiting for him to get home. 

As far as the criticism goes, it's mostly from his family. Though it's strange that they say anything when his dad is twice his mother's age and they went through a lot of criticism yet are still together. They of all people should understand...

I hear ya. My husband is 13 years older than me... got hell over that one. His mom should be way more understanding!

janel09
by New Member on Mar. 9, 2010 at 2:49 PM

I met my husband when I was 16 but didn't date him til I was legal 18 and he got me pregnant a month after he took my viginity. My mom told me I had no choice but to marry him but his family and friends don't like me. They think that eventually I will disappear. Too bad for them because in one month, we will be married for 4 years.

The funny thing is the conversations. It's more on the lines of, "How is everything?" and my response will be, "Eh" and walk away. I don't like talking to them so all my answers are one word.

Patrice Janel

Wife to Lance 04/21/06  mother to L'Janel Jacel 11/04/06 and Lawrael J'lise 09/17/09

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN