Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The stages of marriage...

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2010 at 3:56 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 259 Total Views

Whether your a Christian or not, this is very interesting to know.

I was at church and they were talking about the stages of marriage. Everyone is going to go through this. With us all getting married quickly, these may be more difficult stages for us than others.

#1- honeymoon stage- When you first meet. They can do nothing wrong. you may get into arguments but its quickly forgotten. can't keep your hands off of each other (lol, I laughed at that one)

#2- Despair stage- This is when most marriages fail. The honeymoon stage is over. Their faults come out before their positives. Arguments could last for days. Yelling is constant. You may wonder why you ever married them. This is normally when there is a lot of stress.

#3- Everlasting love- Those that survive the despair stage make it to this stage. This is when you see those people married for 40 or more years. They love each other, no matter their faults.

So things to do to make it to stage #3. Never go to bed angry (this is a hard one for me). Realize that you can always fall back 'in' love with them if you fall out of love with them. A great book for that is the 'Love dare'. If you want to know about that book, watch the movie Fireproof. Remember why you married them in the first place. If you feel that you don't know them anymore, take time to get to know them. Realize that it takes 2 to make a marriage work. Your not going to be able to fix your own marriage by yourself. It will take both of you.

Well, I thought I'd share those with you. I wish I had the video from the church. Once I actually saw it broken down, it made sense to me.

by on Mar. 1, 2010 at 3:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
p88hbear
by on Mar. 1, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Hmmm... my parents have been married for 40 years and they are still in the honeymoon stage... they are so cute!

in love

pageantgirl3
by Group Admin on Mar. 1, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Some people do get that lucky :D

Quoting p88hbear:

Hmmm... my parents have been married for 40 years and they are still in the honeymoon stage... they are so cute!

in love

hummingbird86
by Member on Mar. 1, 2010 at 8:08 PM

I LOVE that movie!! I wish I could get my husband to watch it. He is completely uninterested in anything promoting Christianity. I didn't know that Love Dare was an actual book though. NEAT! I will have to read it. Anyone ever read Captivating or Wild at Heart? OMG AMAZING BOOKS if you wanna understand men and woman! lol

I hope my marriage is in the Everlasting phase. I think it is ^.^ lol My grandparents will have been married for 57 years this coming August. It kind of interesting and heart warming to think about how they have been together far longer than they ever were apart. I hope my husband and I have that kind of longevity in our marriage.

p88hbear
by on Mar. 2, 2010 at 10:31 AM

A fun book to read regarding relationships is "Couplehood" by Paul Reiser... my husband and I both laughed out loud while reading it... it's fabulous!

AMom29
by New Member on Mar. 2, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Sounds about right.  DH and I are in #2.  My parents are together 40+ years, and they are in #2 as well.

p88hbear
by on Mar. 2, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Okay then, I'm a big goober because DH and I are still in #1... and I hope we stay that way forever... just like my folks.

chris3dee
by Group Admin on May. 14, 2010 at 7:50 PM

How long should stage two last? I think I have been in it for 14 years!!!!

Yes we have had a lot of stress over those years and are still working toward stage #3

janel09
by New Member on May. 15, 2010 at 6:13 PM

I flew through stage one in about 2 months. It's been 4 years and I'm stage 2 progressing to 3 because now I just stop caring about his faults.

pageantgirl3
by Group Admin on May. 15, 2010 at 6:15 PM

it just depends on the couple

Quoting chris3dee:

How long should stage two last? I think I have been in it for 14 years!!!!

Yes we have had a lot of stress over those years and are still working toward stage #3

Armygirl2299703
by Member on May. 17, 2010 at 10:17 PM

I'm not religious and saw Fireproof.Just thought it sounded like a good movie and hadn't seen Kirk Cameron in anything in YEARS, so I rented it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)