Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just a little bit of information about why I'm no longer the Admin!

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2011 at 3:35 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 1107 Total Views
1 mom liked this

So I did the HCG diet just 1 round at the beginning of 2010.   I was really amazed, I lost 39 pounds in just 1 round and the first 19 lbs of that I lost in the first week. 

So not long after in March or April I believe I started getting pain in my abdomen, which I thought was trapped gas.  I would get this "trapped gas" a couple of times a month at first, but then it started happening more frequently.  I was finally admitted to the E.R. one night after a nasty episode.  They did a CT scan and told me that my entire Gallbladder was full of Gall stones.  I scheduled surgery for a few weeks out, but never made it that far.  I ended up having an emergency surgery to remove my gallbladder just a few days after my E.R. visit.

I now have to see a Gastroenterologist once a month or more due to the problems in my digestive system from the surgery.  My Dr. told me that losing a lot of weight in a short period of time is a big cause of gall stones.  I had no idea.  I also suffer from fatty liver disease and they found fat in my pancreas.  My dr. is almost 100% positive that because your fat is processed differently with the HCG diet that it is the cause of both the fatty liver disease (since I don't drink alcohol, and not diabetic or morbidly obese) and the fat in the pancreas.

He also told me that people should not be doing the HCG diet unless they're extremely overweight or obese, due to the health risks of losing weight so fast. 

I wanted to make sure everyone on this board was aware of the health risks and what they're getting into when they start this diet.  It has been life changing for me, mostly in a bad way. 

Everyone is different and everyone's bodies react the different to things, so don't think I'm saying that this will happen to everyone or that it will happen to anyone else in this group.

But I wanted to share my story!

OH and we're also TTC #3 and I can't be dieting while I do that either!! LOL

by on Jan. 15, 2011 at 3:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mommy2JoshNJake
by on Jan. 15, 2011 at 8:49 AM

We'll goodluck!! Hopefully that doesn't happen to me! Sorry to hear that and hopefully #3 comes soon!!

veganmommy04
by Member on Jan. 15, 2011 at 11:02 AM
I'm sorry u had medical problems and feel hcg was the cause. Good luck with the baby!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rissalee
by New Member on Jan. 16, 2011 at 3:29 PM

I am so sorry about what happened. hopefully things work out for you and #3 happens soon!

Jynnifer292
by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 9:37 AM

I am sorry that happened to you. My mom was on the operating table, opened up to have gastric bypass and they closed her back up without doing it. She had a fatty liver simply because she is so overweight. My gallbladder is already gone, so I hope I am good. :0) Good luck with baby #3.

ItsMerrMerr
by on Jan. 23, 2011 at 2:01 PM

I don't have a gallblatter either

earthangel1967
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 1:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Omg I am so sorry that happened to you. That really scares me a lot and I hope and pray nothing bad happens to me from this .... I hesitated long and hard over worrying about the possiblities but I also don't think it's healthy for me to be overweight and so I am going to take a chance and I hope it pays off positiviely and doesnt turn into a regret.

I read hours and hours of people's experiences all over the entire internet especially in places I trust more like here and it sounds like the majority of them are really positive so that is some comfort and gives me more hope.

Good luck in ttcing!

gradysmom2006
by Member on Jul. 13, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Just wanted to say that having a baby puts you at increased risk for gallstones...so it could be completely unrelated. 

Also, any extra fat (which you had to have had to lose so much weight) puts you at risk for fatty liver.  If your excess weight was there for a decent amount of time then your liver is the first to show it. 

JMDKRW
by Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Still need to be safe with this diet, you need to drink A LOT of water and exercise. This diet should be used as a tool to create habits for LIFESTYLE change not to depend on HCG, long term use is not good for you over all. You will lose muscle mass if you don't exercise, just like any other diet. Good luck Gals!

conejoazul
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow... I am so sorry to hear that you went through that and I appreciate you sharing your health experience with us as a potential pitfall to the diet. I´ve also has some wonderings about such big weight changes as some people have reported on the protocol.  This will give me something else to be aware of and to learn more about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)