Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Amillianna is 17 months old and has been a very healthy girl up until 2 months ago it all started with a fever and was told that it was due to her teething then on top of her fever we add ear infections, bouts of constipation, hemorrhoids, Bulleous Impetigo, Thrush and still running a fever between 100 to 104. For two months she was on antibiotics and tylenol and advil but nothing was helping take down the fever.

On Thursday April 26, 2012 Amillianna was not eating anything, moving around and her skin no longer had a pink color too it, it looked gray or yellow in color and she was very pale she looked like she was not going to make it too much longer or she had the look of death.

I took her in to the ER and had them run a blood test and her hemoglobin came back at 3.1 so they had to run it again to make sure it was not lab error and turns out it was not so they called for an ambulance and we were rushed to the University of Iowa Childrens Hospital.

Upon arrival more labs were done and at this point her hemoglobin was 2.9 with very low white blood cells, so we started the first of several blood transfusions after 6 transfusions her count was at 9.1 so it was high enough to proceed with a bone marrow biopsy which she had done and they had a prelimenary come back as she did have malignant cells in the bone marrow, so Wednesday she went down to have a central line port, tubes in both her ears, a spinal tap and the first dose of chemotherapy in her spine.

She did great, she did end up needing another blood transfusions following surgery as it was 7.7 but after the transfusion she was up to 10.1. We are on day 3 of chemo and she is up dancing and singing, talking and eating like crazy. She was diagnosed with Acure Lymphoblastic Leukemia with a low risk, so her chances of remission and survival are between 82 and 97 %, which are wonderful odds.

This is a 2 and a half year long treatment plan with a combo of the 5 meds she gets at home either 2 times a day up to 4 times a day, she comes in once a week for a IV chemo treatment and then at the end of 29 days she will receive another spinal treatment. 

With her treatment there are different phases and right now she is in the beginning of the induction face to put the cancer into remission.

We have our fingers crossed that if her fevers stay away, and she does okay with this on new med on Saturday she will be able to go home.

by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:58 AM
Replies (21-29):
bellarose1230
by on May. 13, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I remember those meds. Were doing those starting Tuesday but his doese are more increased right now. The only thing I hate about Vin is the muscle pains it causes.

Quoting king04:

she is getting vincristine IV every week and she got methotrexate IT on the 9th with her spinal tap and then she will get it again on the 30th with a spinal tap and bone marrow biopsy

Quoting bellarose1230:

for chemo

Quoting king04:

for home meds or the chemo?

Quoting bellarose1230:

best of luck. Can I ask what she is getting?

Quoting king04:

We had a rough patch this AM, but she is up laughing and playing right now she is eating mini m&m's. She is feeling a lot better, her ears are causing some problems. Tomorrow is her first clinic visit she has chemo first thing and then goes in for  her spinal tap after wards.

Quoting nickysmom71:

How is she doing Stephanie???

hope_love_dream
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 11:40 PM

oh sweet baby!

i will try to get a little something donated. leukemia hits close to home, i lost my aunt last year to it. she waited too long to get treatment.

let me talk to some people and see if i can get something donated.

hope_love_dream
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 11:41 PM

also i am in the process of becoming a bone marrow donor. i will pray for this little angel

coconut01
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 1:57 PM
Oh my :( hug!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mummie2b2010
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 7:27 AM

gOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!! SHE WILL PULL THROUGH!

margo2322
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 6:33 PM

hope she is doing better.

AliIzzyMom
by I'm New! on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:53 AM
I am new to the group. I am wondering how she is doing? My brother was diagnosed with AML leukemia this year. Preliminary testing thought he had ALL. It has been a super hard year for us as well. I am here if you ever want to talk. (((hugs))))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
king04
by Verified member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Welcome to the group! This is a great group. Amillianna is doing great she has 6 weeks left of IM2 and then we are in maintenance.

Quoting AliIzzyMom:

I am new to the group. I am wondering how she is doing? My brother was diagnosed with AML leukemia this year. Preliminary testing thought he had ALL. It has been a super hard year for us as well. I am here if you ever want to talk. (((hugs))))

dawnylou56897
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Thank you for sharing Amilliann's  story with us.  My heart goes out to you and your family.  She is such an adorable little girl.  I know that the road that you travel will have good times and hard times.  Know that you can get through this.  God does not give us more then he knows we can handle.  Keep the faith.

God Bless you and your family!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)