Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5-Card Stud [easy, medium or hard]

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2010 at 12:31 PM
  • 33 Replies
  • 885 Total Views

This challenge is one week (seven days) long.  Starting whenever you want.  Example: if you start on a Monday then you finish on the following Sunday.  Remember to post everyday or as often as you can visit the site.

The only equipment required for this workout is a standard deck of playing cards. Before the workout, you deal yourself 5 cards (your hand), which will determine your workout for the day. You determine your workout as follows:

- Spades = sit-ups
- Diamonds = dips (chair dips)
- Clubs = push-ups
- Hearts = squats

Whatever number is on the card is the number of repetitions you will do of that exercise. Face cards (and aces) are special, with;

- Jacks = 20 reps
- Queens = 30 reps
- Kings = 40 reps
- Aces = 50 reps

Depending on your hand, you may have to do everything more than once, as follows;

- No pairs (just high card) = 1 round
- One pair = 2 rounds
- Two pair = 3 rounds
- Three of a kind = 4 rounds
- Straight = 5 rounds
- Flush = 6 rounds
- Full house = 7 rounds
- Four of a kind = 8 rounds
- Straight flush = 9 rounds

I don't suggest playing 5 card draw or 7-card stud with this workout! So for example, if I deal the following hand;

5 hearts
8 diamonds
8 spades
jack clubs
king spades

I will be doing;

5 squats
8 dips
8 sit-ups
20 push-ups
40 sit-ups

Because I got a pair (the pair of 8's), I will do that circuit twice in a row. Simple as that.

I hope somebody finds this useful. It was fun making it up.

Click on my siggy to join in.

by on Dec. 8, 2010 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dusky_rose
by Sue ~ Head Admin on Dec. 8, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Ok, I have a question. Are you saying since you got a pair of 8's that you would have to do 2 sets of 8 dips and 2 sets of 8 situps (plus the 20 situps from the other card)? I'm just trying to make sure I understand how this works. I know that that was just your example.

Click above to join Motivate to Get in Shape!

babygirlsmom314
by Corinne ~ Owner on Dec. 8, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Good question Sue.  To answer, you will do it like a circuit

5 squats
8 dips
8 sit-ups
20 push-ups
40 sit-ups

then again

5 squats
8 dips
8 sit-ups
20 push-ups
40 sit-ups

Does that help any?

dusky_rose
by Sue ~ Head Admin on Dec. 8, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Ok, I think that I understand now, thanks.

Click above to join Motivate to Get in Shape!

babygirlsmom314
by Corinne ~ Owner on Dec. 8, 2010 at 2:16 PM

To add a little more:

5 hearts = 5 squats
8 diamonds = 8 dips
8 spades = 8 sit ups
jack clubs = 20 push ups
king spades = 40 sit ups

We have one pair, so we look under one pair, and it says "2 rounds".

So this means the workout is as follows;

2 rounds of the following;

5 squats, 8 dips, 8 sit-ups, 20 pushups, 40 sit-ups

So now let's suppose our hand looks like this:

8 hearts = 8 squats
8 diamonds = 8 dips
8 spades = 8 sit ups
jack clubs = 20 push ups
king spades = 40 sit ups

We have a three of a kind!  "Yay....(/sarcasm)".  So we look under three of a kind, and it says "4 rounds".

So the workout would be as follows;

4 rounds of the following;

8 squats, 8 dips, 8 sit-ups, 20 push-ups, 40 sit-ups.

Hope that helps!

MommyLuvsNate
by on Dec. 11, 2010 at 3:00 PM

I just did my hand. I had a jack of spades (20 sit ups) , 4 of clubs (4 push ups), a 3, 4 and 5 of diamonds. (chair dips) and because I had the pair of 4's I had to do all of this twice. Right? I think I got it? LOL!

babygirlsmom314
by Corinne ~ Owner on Dec. 11, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Quoting MommyLuvsNate:

I just did my hand. I had a jack of spades (20 sit ups) , 4 of clubs (4 push ups), a 3, 4 and 5 of diamonds. (chair dips) and because I had the pair of 4's I had to do all of this twice. Right? I think I got it? LOL!

That is so awesome you are doing this challenge!!!!  Yes you are right, pair of 4s you do it twice.

MommyLuvsNate
by on Dec. 11, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Thanks! Yeah, I am also doing the burpee challenge too. It's nice cuz I can just do these at any point during my day. My son likes to do all of these challenges with me too! I am really motivated this time and I want to do anything to keep myself accountable! Looking forward to tomorrow's hand!!

Quoting babygirlsmom314:

Quoting MommyLuvsNate:

That is so awesome you are doing this challenge!!!!  Yes you are right, pair of 4s you do it twice.

babygirlsmom314
by Corinne ~ Owner on Dec. 11, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Quoting MommyLuvsNate:

Thanks! Yeah, I am also doing the burpee challenge too. It's nice cuz I can just do these at any point during my day. My son likes to do all of these challenges with me too! I am really motivated this time and I want to do anything to keep myself accountable! Looking forward to tomorrow's hand!!

Quoting babygirlsmom314:

Quoting MommyLuvsNate:

That is awesome!!!!  How old is your son?  Good luck with both challenges.  Make sure you post when you do your exercises too.

dusky_rose
by Sue ~ Head Admin on Dec. 11, 2010 at 5:49 PM

This challenge looks interesting, thinking I will do it next after I finish the situp challenge.

Click here to join Motivate to Get in Shape!

MommyLuvsNate
by on Dec. 11, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Thanks so much! My son is 4 years old. We both did walk away the pounds today for 45 min. He did the whole dvd with me! He loves it!!  It's so cute. I will be sure to post when I exercised too. Thanks for help in the motivation department!

Quoting babygirlsmom314:

Quoting MommyLuvsNate:

Quoting babygirlsmom314:

Quoting MommyLuvsNate:

That is awesome!!!!  How old is your son?  Good luck with both challenges.  Make sure you post when you do your exercises too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)