Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Any Disney tips for me?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2010 at 8:01 AM
  • 30 Replies

We are heading to Disney World March 8th.  I've never been before.  My kids are 4 yrs old an 21 months.  Plus I am 22 weeks pregnant!  Not the most ideal time to go but this was bought by our MIL and she insisited we go now.

We are staying on property.

Any hints?

We didn't get the meal plans.  But our vacay came w/ $1000 worth of DW giftcards that can be used anywhere on property.

I am trying to decide what stroller to take or if I should rent theirs (very expensive!).

Thanks!

by on Feb. 18, 2010 at 8:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momoflilangel
by on Feb. 18, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Pack only what you think you'll need for the park. If you overpack you will have more to haul around. I would take your own stroller cause your children will be more comfy in it and you will be able to find it easier. (and it's free) Pack a coule drink boxes & some snacks if you think you'll need them. Bring your camera. Lather up with sunscreen in the morning. We went in October w/ no sunscreen and it was a cool day & my daughter still got a slight sunburn on her face.

RiNKeasMom
by on Feb. 18, 2010 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I got lots of Disney tips! We are basically Disney fanatics and go almost every year (or 2 or 3 times a year...)

To start with the stroller...to me theirs are uncomfortable, hot, and hard to push. I always bring my own. By 4 my oldest would walk the entire park but all kids are different. You may need a double if you have one.

Dining can get expensive in Disney. Are you planning on doing character breakfasts/dinners? Or a special place for you and hubby? If you are looking at wanting a sit-down-dinner you need to make reservations NOW. They fill up really really fast. Some of our favorite character places are Chef Mickey's and Lilo and Stitch's Best Friends Breakfast. If you have girls, 1900 Park Fare dinner with Cinderella and cast.

I always make an itinerary before we go. This is to plan the extra magic hours (since you will be a resort guest you get them), parade times, dining times, along with scheduling in break times, ect. It sounds like a lot but Disney can be a madhouse and if you don't know times and such you may be wondering around rather than getting to do all the stuff!

Disney is made for family's with little kids so your will be able to do just about every ride along with you. Some will have pregnancy warnings, but the way I judged it was if I went on it with my DD when she was little (6months was the first time we took our oldest), then I would ride pregnant.

DO:

Bring your own glow sticks

possibly buy a trading pin necklace of EBAY so your oldest can trade with cast members

Bring a change of clothes for kids --my then 4yo who had been potty trained since 18months, peed herself during the night parade..kids get excited!!!

Bring sweaters and pants..Last April it was 40degress out!

A few bottles of water into the park each day, will save you about $20 a day!

Costumes! My kids bring theirs and have a ball meeting their favorite characters while dressed as them...yes it is perfectly acceptable to have you child walking around dressed as whomever the whole day!

Don't:

Rush. A calm and steady pace keeps you more relaxed and will see more than you will running from thing to thing.

Park Hop---this is something MANY would not agree with me on. With little kids, strollers, and gear park hopping is a waste of time. Pick one park each day and stay there. Especially with the way the buses can get full, you may waste up to 2hours of each day trying to go to a different place. If you plan on doing it, plan for half of each day. One in the morning, hotel to rest, next at night.

Any other questions, feel free! Also if you know where you are staying, there are some tips that go specifically with each resort!

HAVE FUN!

bam920
by on Feb. 18, 2010 at 8:39 AM

The only thing with the stroller is I thought that if we brought our own it would be a pain to get it on and off of the shuttles.  What do you think about that?

We do have reservations at Chef Mickeys.

We don't plan to park hop.

We are staying at the HOtel Coronado.  Do you know if the pools are kept heated?

Thanks, lots of good ifo!

RiNKeasMom
by on Feb. 18, 2010 at 8:55 AM

The pools are heated at the Coronado.

It is a bit of a pain with a stroller on the buses. But you may find the buses to be a bit of a pain in themselves so the extra won't matter. The Coronado is a very popular place (its awesome!) but this in turn makes the buses a bit crowded. I still favored my own stroller over the ease of just picking one up in the parks. The trick is to either catch the early bus--say the park opens at 8am, be at the bus depot at 7--or the late bus,don't try to go until 10 or so. You will have to have the stroller folded to board. My hubby would just stand in the back and hold it, while I would have my baby in a sling and my other sitting next to me.

KBix
by on Feb. 18, 2010 at 9:03 AM

their strollers are 15 a day for singles and 30 for doubles. i would bring your own. Also if you use your giftcard their is a place in the hollywood disney park called hollywood and vine play-n-dine with all the playhouse disney charachters. Children 2 and under are free and adults are 26 each. it was so much fun. also be prepared to walk, a lot lol

KBix
by on Feb. 18, 2010 at 9:05 AM

oh and pack an umbrella....it likes to random sprinkle.

singlemomof2nok
by on Feb. 18, 2010 at 9:21 AM

That is one place that I would love to take my kids

Bmat
by on Feb. 18, 2010 at 10:24 AM

My son and his wife brought an umbrella stroller, and this was pretty easy to get on and off the transportation.  Those with big strollers, though, had a lot of heavy lifting to do.

Bmat
by on Feb. 18, 2010 at 10:26 AM

I agree about costumes, which I wouldn't have realized until last time we went. The children are already enjoying the make believe, and to make believe themselves, to dress up in costumes, adds even more to their fun.

Bmat
by on Feb. 18, 2010 at 10:26 AM

My husband and I enjoy going on our own, too. It is fun for adults.

Quoting singlemomof2nok:

That is one place that I would love to take my kids

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)