Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We are heading to Disney World March 8th.  I've never been before.  My kids are 4 yrs old an 21 months.  Plus I am 22 weeks pregnant!  Not the most ideal time to go but this was bought by our MIL and she insisited we go now.

We are staying on property.

Any hints?

We didn't get the meal plans.  But our vacay came w/ $1000 worth of DW giftcards that can be used anywhere on property.

I am trying to decide what stroller to take or if I should rent theirs (very expensive!).

Thanks!

by on Feb. 18, 2010 at 8:01 AM
Replies (21-30):
KBix
by on Feb. 18, 2010 at 5:14 PM

my son got this backpack for $6 at the toystory store right next to where you meet buzz and woody

he has yet to go anywhere without and is counting down until we go back in May...maybe sooner

Quoting bam920:

Thanks everyone!

My son doesn't have dress up clothes from Disney but that is a cute idea.

We get in Monday night and leave Saturday afternoon.

Kristina~mommy to Bailian and wife to Brad~

writingthewaves
by on Feb. 19, 2010 at 9:13 AM

We went in March of 2008 - when my daughter was almost 4 and my son was about 20 months and it was AWESOME!!!! We took our own stroller, packed a small soft-sided cooler that we could stow underneath with snacks and drinks, and spent about 5 hours a day at the park. We didn't want to the kids to get too tired or burnt out. We usually went at about 10 in the morning and the kids were dozing off in the car on the way back to the hotel around 3pm.  One day we went later in the afternoon to the Magic Kingdom because we wanted to see the fireworks show that night. It was awesome - a little crowded getting out of the park at the end, but it was managable.

I bought some cute  "autograph" books/notebooks at the dollar store before we went for the characters to sign. They have some there too, but they are about $6 each I think - but they do have the Disney pics on them. They have these designated spots where the characters hang out for photos and signing autographs - which was really helpful. You have to wait in line for a few minutes (the longest we waited was probably 20 min.), but it's worth it. The workers take pictures that you can purchase if you want, but they will take a picture with your camera too - so that was really nice.  We did the Park Fare Cinderella dinner too which was magical. Seriously. The hotel where it's held - the Grand Floridian - is gorgeous!!!

Also - Animal Kindgom has these Kid Club spots (I can't remember the name off of the top of my head) - kind of like discovery learning centers, spread out throughout the park where the kids do a little activity and a Disney worker interacts with them, gives them a "stamp" in their passport when the task is complete, and then if they fill up their passport they get a small prize at the end. My daughter LOVED this!!!  She still talks about it.

Another tip I saw on the Disney Mom's panel - http://disneyworldforum.disney.go.com/ - Tie a ribbon or something around your stroller's handle for easy Identification and don't panic if your stroller is in a different spot than you left it. A lot of times, the workers will move the strollers to create more space. That happened to us a few times so I was glad I had read that tip.

One other thing that was really helpful was getting the fast passes when available - like for the Pooh Bear ride and the Safari. Dumbo does not have fast passes and was the longest line we stood in - probably 25 -30 minutes. I had snacks and small toys and even mini-bubbles in my backpack to occupy the kids - another tip from the Mom's panel.  I also got a lot of info from this link - http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/planning-guides/in-depth-advice/traveling-with-little-ones/

Just like always with little kids - you have to expect the unexpected, be flexible, and follow their cues (like my daughter being terrified of some of the characters and having to go a complete different way to avoid them at times. My son loved them so my husband and I switched off taking him to see the characters.) but even with those little bumps, it was such a fun family vacation. We can't wait to go back!!!

Have a wonderful trip!!!

bam920
by on Feb. 19, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Thaanks writingthewaves !  Good stuff.  Mini bubbles, great idea!  I figure 1/2 day at each  park too.

Bmat
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2010 at 3:59 PM

My favorite snack at Disney is the Mickey ice cream bars. They are so good. Also Dole Whips-  they are sold opposite the swiss family treehouse.  We had the meal plan, which gave us one counter service meal, one table service meal, and a snack every day. It was fun, but I think with little children that it would be just as well to buy as you go.

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I would bring your own stroller, park hop, and I like what  RiNKeasMom advice was above.

Kainalu55
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:57 PM

sounds like fun!

elasmimi
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I agree completely with the 1/2 day thing with young kids. Or at least spend the am at a park, come back to the hotel, nap, rest, and go back in the evening.

Quoting bhwrn1:

I didn't like their strollers. They are just big pieces of plastic. My 18 month old could not nap well in it. I prefered mine. I took a double b/c I had an 18 month old and a 4 y/o. If you have a double, I suggest taking it. The kids can walk, but it is a big place and they can become easily fatigued. Take lots of rest breaks. You can bring a cooler into the park, so you might think about a small one with drinks and snacks for the kids. You will be surprised how fast the DW giftcards go even though it seems like a lotl. Drink lots of water.

How long are you going for? We went to the parks every day and the kids were exhausted. If I were to do it again, I would spend only 1/2 days at the park and some time at the hotel to relax.

elasmimi
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 5:32 PM

The Dole Whips are awesome, my favorite snack. Our favorite character meal is breakfast at Tusker House. There is everything you could want for breakfast, and the characters are in safari dress, which is a little different. It's buffet style, and we always take some fruit with us for a later snack.

Kmakksmom
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:00 PM
The last time I was there, I was 7. We visited Disney World, Sea World, and Epcot Center. The coolest thing was seeing Michael Jackson in 3D, lol.

I'm 34.

My BFF has been there millions of times, and I'm sure his advice would be similar to RiNKeasMom's advice.

My advice to you had I seen this before you went is just to have lots of fun and take tons of pictures, but I'm sure you did both :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Wish2Be
by Michelle on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Is this the one in CA or FL?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)