Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Discussion: Giving & Getting Unsolicited Parenting Advice?

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2010 at 12:48 PM
  • 7 Replies

Is it a good idea or a bad idea? Do you give it? When you get it, how do you react?

by on Feb. 22, 2010 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
fairymom2316
by on Feb. 22, 2010 at 12:56 PM

I usually don't give it unless someone asks or when if in a conversation, it comes up. If someone gives me advice, I listen and depending on what it is, I take it =)

single_and_preg
by on Feb. 22, 2010 at 2:54 PM

No i dont like it

Bmat
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2010 at 4:29 PM

I don't really like it, but when I get it I do consider it. I rarely give it unless I know the mom well, and sometimes not even then.

KBix
by on Feb. 22, 2010 at 5:17 PM

i generally never give advice. but i personally hate recieving it.

CrazedMomof2
by on Feb. 22, 2010 at 7:22 PM

I give it when asked.

bhwrn1
by on Feb. 22, 2010 at 7:25 PM

I only give advice if asked. Otherwise I keep my mouth shut. I have received advice without asking. Sometimes it's annoying, sometimes I take it in stride, sometimes it is useful.

tyandlukesmom
by on Feb. 23, 2010 at 1:47 AM

I give it when asked for or it is something someone says they don't understand why their baby is.... I get a lot of unwanted advice from my sister in law. She has a 6 month old. My oldest is 6 years old. I've only told her 2 things are normal, babies get gas, and that they sometimes lose a little of their hair a few weeks after they are born. I got the eye roll and a no its not on the gas thing. The hair thing I walked less than 2 feet away from her and heard her tell my other sister in law that I am a know it all. LOL I got a good laugh out of that, My other sister in law told her "she does have two kids" I don't like that she constantly tells me everything I do is wrong. But I guess she is the expert what with a 6 month old and all.

Sorry thats how I feel about it. If your kids are my kids age or older I accept your advice. When they are so much younger and you've only been a parent for such a short amount of time I don't need unsolicited advice. I know i didn't start giving advice until just recently because I have had people ask me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)