Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Summer Travel - Save The Memories

Posted by   + Show Post

Road trips are fun. Now, wait - don't roll your eyes at the thought of driving cross country with your family. It's a forced togetherness, to be sure, but some of the strongest memories I have from my childhood involve driving to Missouri to visit my relatives, in my parents van. Stopping for lunch at a rest stop, making duck bills out of Pringles chips with my sisters, drinking warm orange juice as we went uuuuuppp the hills and back doooowwwnnnn the hills and - well, let's just not talk about what happened next.

Suffice it to say, I still don't like orange juice.

Not all memories involve queasiness, though. Spending time with your family is something that your kids will remember for their entire life. One of the greatest way that you can do this is allowing your children to create a scrapbook. I'll admit - I wasn't a big believer in this until a few years ago, when my own mother brought over the scrapbooks that she'd made with my children when she'd taken them on various trips. I'd seen those scrapbooks in passing and not put too much stock in them - simple spiral bound notebooks that my kids had journaled in, glued in and markered up, they seemed childish and unimportant.

To me, as an adult, maybe they were. To my children, those albums were priceless treasures. My daughter opened one, pointed to a picture and started laughing. "Remember all those ladybugs? Remember how afraid of them you were?" And just like that, they were off, talking about the memories that they'd made on this trip or that vacation.

Going away this summer? You can pick up a scrapbook quality book for not much money. Hand it over to your child, and give her free reign. Of course, you can buy stickers, borders, fancy papers and the like - but quite often, kids don't need that. As a special bonus, creating a personalized scrapbook both keeps your child busy and allows you to see the trip through your child's eyes. You might be surprised at what is the highlight of the trip for him.

Not traveling this summer? You can create the same memory wtih at home plans. Gluing in movie ticket stubs, museum pamphlets and maybe a shell from the beach will have the same effect, and help your child to create a memory that is stamped on the heart forever.

These scrapbooks are treasures that will last a lifetime, and the reflection that will happen when you review them with your family - well, that is priceless and without equal.

by on Jul. 24, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
BiloxiDreams
by on Aug. 4, 2011 at 10:14 AM

We drove from central Texas to the Mississippi Gulf Coast to see family last month.  My sister flew down from Kansas to drive with me actually.  We loaded all three kids (14 months, 4, and 6) in my van after dinner and drove through the night (took 11 hours).  That drive wasn't so bad since the kids slept most the time but my sister did get an upset stomach and we were miles from a gas station so she did have to "pop a squat" in the middle of nowhere.  She almost cried at the time but 30 minutes later started busting up laughing about it.  Although she made me swear not to tell our little brother.  The ride back to Texas was different.  We left during the day and it took 12 hours.  It was a horrible drive and I forgot bladder which lead to stopping to pee THREE TIMES IN A HOUR!!!  It was awful.  We got in at 3am and woke up at 7am to take my sister back to the airport.  I'm done with road trips for a while!

foistela
by on Aug. 4, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Same here! 

Quoting sweettigeress:

I love scrapbooking, but I'm so behind.

Owner of 

Admin of Fall 2008 babies

Kristenn
by on Aug. 4, 2011 at 4:27 PM
I've never been a scrapbooker. I do remember driving across the country with my grandma in her big purple 18 wheeler! It was so much fun!
KristinRox
by on Aug. 4, 2011 at 10:57 PM

I love letting my kids take their own pictures and getting them to put time into a scrapbook. They always go back and look at the cool things we did. When my dd and I go to England in September she is going to have her own digital camera to take her own pictures of our travels.

JHanc968
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 2:55 PM

I love scrapbooking...

ecagle
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 4:01 PM

I think this is a great idea! We're moving in September and traveling across the country...from Cali to MI...I think I might take pictures and scrapbook the event...starting with a few days before we leave, so the boys remember!

abernathyvanna
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 4:22 PM

This is a great idea! I <3 it! :)

My kids are very artistic and love to show off what they have done. They always keep journals though. Which is about the same thing. :)

RobynS
by on Aug. 9, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Great idea! I think DS might be old enough to start scrapbooking on his own a bit... and I know he would love it! =)

RobynS
by on Aug. 9, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Oh, and I'm feeling a bit nauseous just thinking about your OJ experience.

momoftwins_2
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 11:39 PM

i suck at scrapbooking lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)