Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Summer Travel - Save The Memories

Posted by   + Show Post

Road trips are fun. Now, wait - don't roll your eyes at the thought of driving cross country with your family. It's a forced togetherness, to be sure, but some of the strongest memories I have from my childhood involve driving to Missouri to visit my relatives, in my parents van. Stopping for lunch at a rest stop, making duck bills out of Pringles chips with my sisters, drinking warm orange juice as we went uuuuuppp the hills and back doooowwwnnnn the hills and - well, let's just not talk about what happened next.

Suffice it to say, I still don't like orange juice.

Not all memories involve queasiness, though. Spending time with your family is something that your kids will remember for their entire life. One of the greatest way that you can do this is allowing your children to create a scrapbook. I'll admit - I wasn't a big believer in this until a few years ago, when my own mother brought over the scrapbooks that she'd made with my children when she'd taken them on various trips. I'd seen those scrapbooks in passing and not put too much stock in them - simple spiral bound notebooks that my kids had journaled in, glued in and markered up, they seemed childish and unimportant.

To me, as an adult, maybe they were. To my children, those albums were priceless treasures. My daughter opened one, pointed to a picture and started laughing. "Remember all those ladybugs? Remember how afraid of them you were?" And just like that, they were off, talking about the memories that they'd made on this trip or that vacation.

Going away this summer? You can pick up a scrapbook quality book for not much money. Hand it over to your child, and give her free reign. Of course, you can buy stickers, borders, fancy papers and the like - but quite often, kids don't need that. As a special bonus, creating a personalized scrapbook both keeps your child busy and allows you to see the trip through your child's eyes. You might be surprised at what is the highlight of the trip for him.

Not traveling this summer? You can create the same memory wtih at home plans. Gluing in movie ticket stubs, museum pamphlets and maybe a shell from the beach will have the same effect, and help your child to create a memory that is stamped on the heart forever.

These scrapbooks are treasures that will last a lifetime, and the reflection that will happen when you review them with your family - well, that is priceless and without equal.

by on Jul. 24, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
JHanc968
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Cool

JHanc968
by on Aug. 27, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Cool

MomX3ThatsMe
by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 9:03 AM

I make a Shutterfly photo book for each trip we take.

piercedbeauty21
by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 9:08 AM

I use to scrapbook before dd was born, but I stopped when she came along. I take TONS of pics now, so maybe I'll start up again :) Thanks for the article.

flowerfunleah
by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 12:08 PM

We save all our movie ticket stubs, fortune cookie fortunes, and take TONS of pictures even though we don't really go anywhere. We practice the STAY-cation, lol, and go and visit the sites in our state and town that we wouldn't normally if we were going somewhere. DD has QUITE the photo collection of her first year of us going everywhere.

Laura1427
by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Great ideas! I LOVE scrapbooking!

ashleybgarcia
by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 3:05 PM
I save our tickets to movies, zoo, etc. One day I'll make a scrapbook.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lapcounter
by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 4:30 PM
I love, love, love scrapbooking even though I am a traditional girl I am thankful for digital scrapbooking :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saraface5383
by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 4:54 PM
We fly! Lol when we drove to arizon from ca it took us about 8 hours, it wasn't to bad we had them watch movies, we sang, ate, and just wanted to get out the whole time lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elwalters77
by on Oct. 22, 2011 at 1:05 AM

We did this on our recent trip as a school project for our first grader while we were away, since he would be missing a week of school. It was a fun project for him and we will cherish the memories.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)