Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Making Friendship Your New Year's Resolution

Posted by   + Show Post

Second only to a weight loss resolution, making friends a priority in the new year is one of the most often made New Year's Resolutions. Especially after spending the six weeks encompassing Thanksgiving and Christmas focusing on family, many women want to devote time in the new year to their friends.Often, though, our busy lives get in the way of our girlfriend time, and it can be the first thing dropped from the calendar. Friends enrich and improve our lives in numerous ways and we should really try to grow our friendships.If you've made a commitment to spend more time with your friends this year, here are some terrific, outside the box, ways to let your friends know how much they mean to you.

• Send a Note - The number one way I try to stay in touch with my girlfriends involves sending cards. Every time I grocery shop, I I try to bring home at least three cards for special friends. They might be funny or touching, but, in some way, that card has brought to mind a particular friend. I try to get it in the mail with a little note - just to let the recipient know I was thinking of her. In this, the age of instant online communication, never underestimate the thrill that comes from getting a card out of the blue.
  • Make a Date - Once a month, set a day to spend with a friend. You might meet for coffee, grab a drink and dessert together, or go to the movies. Maybe you'll pick a more active event - rock climbing, ice skating or yoga class. Whatever sounds like fun to you and your friend, plan it out and write it in pen on your calendar.
  • Bring Over Dinner - I don't know about you, but there are some nights that I just can't seem to get it together. Once, when I was feeling especially overwhelmed, a great friend told me to skip making dinner and showed up, an hour later, with a chicken and the sides. It touched me that my friend thought enough of me to cook for me, and the bonus of her staying for dinner and eating with us felt like a holiday.
  • Lend a Helping Hand - Everyone has house chores. Some of us more than others, and if your friend is especially overwhelmed as she shares with you her plans to clean out the closets, pop over to her place and offer your services for an hour. If she's got a new baby, you can help clean up the kitchen while she feeds the baby. Even folding laundry together, if it's done with friends, can be a source of laughter - and once your friend has helped your fold underwear, you know you are friends for life.
  • Challenge Her to a Dance Off - Electronic dance games can be extra exciting when you challenge your friend to a competition. With multiple gaming platforms and many dance forms offered, you and your friend could spend a chunk of time getting your groove on - and when I did this, we laughed so hard I thought my abs would never be the same.
  • Or a Cooking Lesson - Do you have a special skill in the kitchen? Are you the best baker out there, or does your skill with the knife leave all the veggies in gorgeous array? Maybe you've got a skill you can share with a friend - and she can do the same for you!

Family is important, there's no doubt about it. Friends can be just as important, and it's vital to take the time to cultivate those relationships that help you be the best "you" possible.

by on Jan. 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
supermeof3
by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Good ideas :)

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Yeah!! I am making alot of new ones this year!!

pootersmomi
by on Jan. 9, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Same here. I don't have a lot of friends but I have quality friends.

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny:

I'm not big on having tons of close friends but I do work hard at the relationships that are important to me.

pootersmomi
by on Jan. 9, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I love the dance off tip. What a way to break down in giggles.

foodie.at.heart
by Member on Jan. 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM

I think that good friendships need to be nurtured.  They need to be fed and watered. You can't just sit them on the shelf and forget about them.

goddess99
by on Jan. 12, 2012 at 9:16 AM

My friends live in different towns than me. I probably see them less than once a year.

heathermichelle
by on Jan. 12, 2012 at 2:08 PM

I have a few close friends.

LOswald0314
by on Jan. 12, 2012 at 4:27 PM

This is actually a good resolution-i need to do more of this.

Kmakksmom
by on Jan. 12, 2012 at 7:55 PM
I don't have any RL friends anymore, but the friends I have online are the ones closest to me and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suziejax
by on Jan. 12, 2012 at 10:26 PM

This is so true and so important and something I am pondering to work harder at

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)