Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

What To Do When There's Nothing To Do

Posted by   + Show Post

"Mooooommm! I'm so bored! There's nothing to do!"

If you have a child, you've heard that refrain. Often it strikes when the weather is bad and you are all stuck in the home. Maybe you've been buried under a foot of snow and after the novelty of the white stuff has worn off, the house is full of crabby people. Maybe you work from home and your kids have a day off from school. What's a busy mom to do? Here are some tried and true boredom busters, guaranteed to get the fun pumping once again!

• Create Yummy Foods - Food speaks to everyone, and what better way to use the free time you have than to learn to cook? It's a life skill that will serve your child in any capacity as they grow up. Whether it be cookies, a cake, bread or a casserole, spend a little time teaching your kids the correct way to chop, fold, blend and bake. As a bonus, you'll have yummy treats when you've finished!
  • Create Fun Art - Scour through your art cabinet - do you have the ends of bottles of paints, the scraps of crayons and nubs of colored pencils? Most kids will forget what art supplies they have. Remind them how much fun simple coloring can be.
  • Crafting - I've made sidewalk chalk, bubble solution and playdough at home using every day ingredients. Having your children help you create these things not only gives them something to do, but helps them feel an increased energy towards playing with said items.
  • Write - Most children love to write, but years of being told what to write and when to write it have stifled their creative genius. Help them rediscover their creative sides by beginning a traveling story - write the first few lines and then pass the book to a child. He write a bit and passes it on. Your story could go further than you ever dreamed - and in ma much different direction! For an added bonus, after the story is written, act it out.
  • Gaming System Fun - Do you have a Wii, Playstation or Xbox? Odds are good that you have a few games that your kids have forgotten that they own. Maybe you've got a few dance games. Challenge your kids to a dance off - or shoot a round of golf in a warm, sunny locale! Highest score gets to have lunch prepared by the lowest score!
  • Dress Up - Pull out your costume jewelry, your old fancy dresses, and your husband's cast off suits. Let your kids dress up and serve a fancy lunch, complete with tea sandwiches and fancy manners. Pinkies up!
  • Chores - If all else fails, and none of the above solutions have brought peace to my house, my kids get to join me in work. Specifically, they are given chores. Even a three year old can wield a broom or dust cloth. Pretty soon, my kids discovered that maybe, it wasn't in their best interest to come to me with a complaint of boredom - and they learned to solve it themselves. 

What are some of your favorite, kid approved boredom busters?

by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-60):
Kelly913
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 2:19 PM

When my 6 year old tells me he's bored I respond with a list of reminders of things he can do and tell him it's not my job to entertain him all day.  Sometimes I point out that if he continues to be bored I can put him to work.  That usually stops the complaints!  He often does this when he wants to watch a movie and it isn't time for one yet that day.

On the flip side, we usually have 1 special thing planned each day and that helps prevent the cries of boredom.

KTMOM
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 3:02 PM

we just like to get out of the house and run errands, go for coffee, stuff like that.

Madelaine
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Thanks

aneela
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 10:57 AM

usually some type of game

aneela
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 10:58 AM

these are great ideas

aneela
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 10:59 AM

im also very careful with this and havent let my son in very often...will work on it as he gets older :-)

Quoting LuvingRN:

I really need to let my kids in the kitchen and teach them to cook.

momkaribg
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 1:05 PM

We have a wii, ps3, and xbox.

mommythree0508
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Quoting Kainalu55:

good ideas!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aj23
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 10:11 PM
If all else fails we can bake cookies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jerichos_Mommy
by Member on Jan. 30, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Baking

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)