Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some advice

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 6:15 PM
  • 14 Replies

Hello,

I have a daughter  that is 9yrs old  is snotty and being disrespectful. I have tried grounding her taking phone calls away , Running out of things to do ! Doesn't seem to be working. the only other thing i can think of is taking all toys and things out of her room.  Any ideas i'm open to hear 

Second my son is 6yrs old and when told no about things throws a fit, we ground him to is room take away game system. Trying to get the fit throwoing under control? 

by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
terri76
by Terriny on Jan. 16, 2012 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I would honestly stick to my guns with whatever you do.. let them know you are not playing..for your daughter if it takes you tsking everything out f her room then so be it. let them know you are not backing down from your rules and your choices :-)

Shari55
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this

If you are married make sure you both are on the same page and have a united front. Be consistent, if you take away everything till they earn it back, stick with it.

The biggest reason that children continue to act up is because there is no consistency, or follow through. I am guilty of this too so I speak from experience.

terri76
by Terriny on Jan. 16, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Totally!!!! You said it better then i did :-) I was guilty of the same thing and they do take advantage of that sadly.

Quoting Shari55:

If you are married make sure you both are on the same page and have a united front. Be consistent, if you take away everything till they earn it back, stick with it.

The biggest reason that children continue to act up is because there is no consistency, or follow through. I am guilty of this too so I speak from experience.

Kimberlynn
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 9:05 PM
This, plus some parents even go as far as removing their child's door until they earn it back.

Quoting terri76:

I would honestly stick to my guns with whatever you do.. let them know you are not playing..for your daughter if it takes you tsking everything out f her room then so be it. let them know you are not backing down from your rules and your choices :-)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvingRN
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

This!!  I also recommend 1-2-3 Magic too.  It seemed to really work well and kept the tantrums at bay.

Quoting Shari55:

Kelly913
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Is there an underlying issue that might be bothering both of them?  Upheaval at home or school or with friends?  If not all I can suggest is the book Have a New Kid by Friday, I think it's by Dr Kevin Lehman.

fallnangel3
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 2:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Gently remind her not to be snotty, some girls start going through hormonal changes at 9. Let her know that her attitude needs to stop. Start talking to her about why she is being snotty towarrds others, ask her teacher if she is doing this at school, look at yourself too sometimes we don't realize that we are talking down to our children and not respecting them and they have picked the behavior up from us. Sometimes taking all of THEIR things aways makes it worse. Look at it from their perspective, if your dh decided that he did not like the way you were acting and took everything the BELONGS TO YOU away would your attitude towards him improve or would you resent him for it?

Your 6 yo is doing something that is actually pretty common. What worked for us and some of our friends was simply putting them in time out till the fit was over. Good news is that it seems to be a phase some kids have and will eventually pass.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Kylie2708
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 9:05 AM
Quoting terri76:

This :)
jochims
by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Oh i did remove her door so i did stick to my guns when i told her that ...

Quoting Kimberlynn:

This, plus some parents even go as far as removing their child's door until they earn it back.

Quoting terri76:

jochims
by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Thank you all so much . thank you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)