Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Do you ever feel as if your life is one gigantic episode of Groundhog Day? Wake up, do the chores, go to bed - and then wake up and do it all over again? Make the meals, clean the dishes, wash the clothes and do it the next day and the next? It's enough to make a woman want to stay in bed and never, ever get out. How can you keep you energy up and your enthusiasm going? Here are some of the most common stumbling blocks and some creative ways to break the roadblock and enjoy some excitement - even if all you are doing is driving to preschool.

• What are the most repetitive parts of your weekdays? Do you have to drive the kids to school every morning? Why not change up your route by driving a different way, or find some fun new music to enjoy. Maybe an audiobook that the entire family could get into would make the drive more enjoyable. Challenge your children to a car version of the alphabet game, where each of you has to find an item that begins with the letters of the alphabet - in order. A different version spells out your destination - SCHOOL means you need to find an item that starts with a "S", and then a "C", etc.
  • Is dinnertime your nemesis? Tired of the "Chicken, beef or fish" question? What about breakfast for dinner? This meal is my own children's favorite. Or change the location of your meal - maybe you eat on the patio, if it's warm, or even under the table on a blanket!
  • Do you have a bad habit you find yourself doing regularly? Can you challenge yourself to give up the soda, quit biting your nails or remember to wash your face at night before bed? Does your child face a similar struggle? Challenge your child to a one month quitting contest. The winner is treated to frozen yogurt, or a smoothie, or gets to chose one chore that the other will do for them.
  • Plan a getaway - It doesn't have to be fancy - although I don't think many of us would turn down a trip to the Bahamas - but often you can survive the gloominess of winter by imagining a springtime trip. Do you have an indoor water park? Maybe you could take your family on an overnight getaway to a local hotel, and enjoy swimming in the pool. Swimming is an activity which we are unaccustomed to enjoying in the winter, and it can be a tremendous morale boost for the family as well as a welcome "get the blood flowing" activity.
  • Brighten your day with color - It could be as simple as buying some brightly colored flowers or new kitchen towels, or as extensive as painting your living room. Adding a shot of color to your daily view wakes things up and gives you a lift. 
  • Make today special "Just Because" - Just because it's a Wednesday - make a cake. Light the candles on the table. Put on a fancy dress or just some new perfume. Don't wait for the special to come to you - seize every minute and make a memory out of the most mundane of days.

What are some ways that you find helpful to reduce the everyday monotony many of us experience?

by on Feb. 1, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
Madelaine
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Love the title!

KaylaMillar
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 11:39 AM
I enjoy having a routine
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LOswald0314
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Trying new recipes and baking for my family helps.

goddess99
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 2:15 PM

um I guess I'm happy and content with my life. I don't feel like it's monotonous.

Bmat
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I am so busy that I never feel bored. I enjoy reading, playing on the computer, visiting friends.

MamaMandee
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Im still working on ways to change things up ...just a few hours ago I was thinking wow how did already become Thursday!?! 

MamaMandee
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Great Idea!! 

Quoting LOswald0314:

Trying new recipes and baking for my family helps.

bether89
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I like to try new recipes.

ME35
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I try to make time to see my friends once a week or every two weeks with out my child!  If I take my kiddo I try to make a play date with my girlfriend and her daughter.  I try to hit the library every now and then hit a different park and def try new workout group X classes at my gym and get out of my FUNK!  Also trying new dinner ideas and getting to the grocery store is fun esp without my toddler lol and I love trying new candles and yes buying brightly colored flowers are great and maybe a new hair do even for your kiddo!  Believe me I AM IN A MAJOR FUNK right now and his mohawk we just took him to get made me smile for days and still is.  He and I even found a place last week to eat at and he actually behaves.  So that will be our new date spot just me and my toddler when my husbands at work Lol keeps things unroutine like

mommythree0508
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Quoting Terri441:

I kind of enjoy my monotony...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)