Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Girlfriends are the rock upon which my life runs just a bit smoother. By "girlfriends", of course, I mean my female companions - not so much the concept of a girlfriend for my husband.

I love my family, of course, without end and without fail. There are some times, however, and some circumstances that I can only find comfort and companionship from other women. Maybe I've had an argument with my husband, or my mom is making me crazy. (I'm so kidding - my mom never makes me crazy! Honest!) Possibly I have some concerns about one of my children that I'd like to run by a girlfriend - or, maybe, I just need an underpant recommendation.

Girlfriends are there for you in just about every situation and circumstance. They are there in good times and in bad, and they can make the good times so much better and the bad times tolerable.I know that there have been some situations that I just would not have gotten through without my girlfriends and I don't always show them my grattitude. This Valentine's Day, why not take the time to let your girlfriends know how important they are to you? Here are some great ways to make a tiny moment with a girlfriend all the better:

• Send Your Feelings in the Mailbox: Virtually every one of us loves to go to the mailbox. It's a treat when you are young to be given this job, and I'd venture to say most of us still become a bit excited when that mail slides in. Why not brighten a friends' day and let her find a handwritten letter or special card among the bills and junk mail? Jot a few lines to tell your friend the things about her that you appreciate, and the ways that your life has been enriched by knowing her.
  • Cook Your Way: Is your friend struggling? Maybe she has a new baby, her toddler is sick, or her hubby is away on travel and the kids are threatening anarchy. Why not double up on your own dinner one night and offer to give her an evening free from meal prep? Or surprise her at school pick up with her favorite coffee and a muffin.
  • A Tiny Token: Sometimes, I see a magnet or a coffee mug that really speaks to me and brings to mind a certain friend. If I can, I might purchase those special items and share them with her. Everyone loves to know that they bring happy thoughts to other people.
  • Throw a Girlfriend Dinner Party: Invite your friends over for dinner. You can make it a potluck dinner, or, for an added twist, make it a progressive dinner. (Am I the only one who remembers the novelty of progressive dinners?)  Before you eat, take a minute and tell each of your friends the things that you enjoy and appreciate about them. Maybe your best friend from school keeps you straight with projects, and your best work friend is always there with the fresh baked goods. Let them know how you really feel!

What are some ways that you show your girlfriends how much they enrich your life?

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-29):
KaylaMillar
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:49 PM

we text...alot!

Kainalu55
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:10 PM

i need to hang out with my girlfriends more often...

Kainalu55
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:12 PM

me neither...they're pretty far away, but i think i'll try to get us all together some time soon!

Quoting soontobemommie3:

Keeping in touch. We live forever away. I don't have "girlfriends" where I currently live. :/

Kainalu55
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:14 PM

i have 2 who i still talk too, but we don't get together much...

Quoting mjimaging:

As sad as it sounds, I really don't have girlfriends. I don't have many friends period. Kinda sucks.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I keep in touch with them on FB.  Unfortunately I haven't seen any of them in over a year =(

Kmakksmom
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 1:40 AM

I have 3 online girl friends.  We snail mail, email, and text all the time.  This is the first time in my life when I have actually had girl friends.

johnny4ever
3 weeks till school starts!
Yesterday at 7:22 AM
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Babysit for FREE

Rahe_25
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Quoting Audreesmommy757:

i make them some of there fav treats..sometimes i sneak little trinkets into their purse when there not looking or send them flowers

wow that is soo awesome!! ,you are such a sweetheart

MissErinB
by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 10:15 PM

My best friends are my sisters, but I don't have either of them around anymore. One chose to make a lot of bad decisions and is now facing the consequences behind bars. I hope she can go back to the girl I knew before all the drugs. The other has gotten married to an ex-marine and now is in the army; so she had to move to another state. We used to have so much fun together, but now I have to talk to them through letters/text/emails. I miss them!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)