Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

whats your thought on this

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 9:47 PM
  • 7 Replies

Vaccines are an issue that incite plenty of debate and make me nervous as hell. I want to believe all the reassurances and studies that they're safe, but all of the contrary studies and information have led me to struggle and stress over every one my children have received. New information aboutmicrowave popcorn's power over vaccinesmakes me even more nervous.

What's microwave popcorn got to do with the whole debate? Well, a lot apparently, and it's terrifying.

A new study found that some items we use in our daily lives actually lower the effectiveness of some vaccines like diphtheria and tetanus. The culprit is thought to be perfluorinated compounds(PFCs), which are found in things like the popcorn,stain-repellants, and water-proof clothing.

Said researcher Dr. Philippe Grandjean of the Harvard School of Public Health:

When we take our kids to the doctor's office to get their shots, we expect that the vaccines are going to work. What we found was that there was an increasing risk that they didn’t work if the kids had been exposed to the PFCs.

What the hell?

More from The Stir: 7 Reasons You Shouldn't Refuse or Delay Vaccines

It's not that my kids eat much microwave popcorn and it's too hot for much rain gear in Florida, it's just that ...shouldn't someone have known this?! I mean the medical community asks us to trust them and inject these substance into our children's bodies because they need them to be healthy. They say they're safe ... but yeah, they don't work so well if you nosh on some popcorn?

I know medicine isn't always an exact science, and I don't want to be alarmist, but this just freaks me out. It makes me wonder what else they don't know, and how else might those vaccines coursing their bodies be altered by other environmental factors. Not to mention what other effects PFCs could have on us all, regardless of vaccines. 

Vaccines have done wonders in saving lives and stopping the spread of some diseases, and for that I'm thankful. But given things like this latest news, doctors also can't blame parents for being nervous and hesitant about them. Will it change the fact that I do vaccinate my children? No. Will it make me even more fearful and reluctant to do so? Absolutely.

Are you shocked to hear that microwave popcorn could affect a vaccine's effectiveness?

by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
terri76
by Terriny on Jan. 29, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Hmm well most of these vaccines are given to younger babies(well not tetanus) so they would not be eating popcorn..But nothing surprises me now a days.

Albond86
by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this
It doesn't change my views on vaccinating my children. I'm not a fan of delaying or non vax... But that's me!
mysticalmalissa
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2012 at 5:30 AM

WOW...I guess I should be glad my son doesnt like that kind of popcorn.

3pippings
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 5:44 AM

I'm not sure about the effect  of the microwave popcorn on vaccine's effectiveness.

I mean with or without that popcorn vaccines are never effective.

How many percentage of kids who actually get the chicken pox after getting the vaccine itself?

Almost 80% if not more people who get the flu shots down with horrible flu just after the shots.

The rare diseases are back because the people with vaccines also carry the bacteria or virus of those diseases. 

Some vaccine actually introduced when the diseases itself died out.

And you need to find out who are these people who tell you that vaccines are effective.

LuvingRN
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I'm not really sure I buy this....

I would have to see all the research that was done and if more than one research company had come up with the same conclusions. 

I honestly think that there is sooooo much out there medically that we just don't know and there's just not enough research :(

August07Mom
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I'm not sure I buy into it.  I would need to see more research behind it.

Mom2Kylie2708
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 4:17 PM
Quoting August07Mom:

I'm not sure I buy into it.  I would need to see more research behind it.

Agreed!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)