Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

It's All About You!

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 31 Replies

One day a year, it's all about you.The day that celebrates your entry into the world, the one day that each of us should be treated like the Kings and Queens we are - it's your birthday. After all, if you can't feel special on your special day - well, it would be a pretty sad state of affairs indeed.

In our house, we like to celebrate by having ice cream cake - for breakfast. Especially when it's Daddy's birthday, ice cream cake always seems to feel both celebratory and slightly naughty - and having it with, or in place of, breakfast cereal, seems to start the day off on the right foot.

With a larger than typical amount of family members, present buying can quickly spiral out of control, and so I spend a good deal of time focusing on finding "just the right gift", as opposed to something spendy - it can be a fun challenge to try to find my husband's favorite candy or the shampoo my daughter adores. Devoting time to finding the little things that make them happy is one of the most satisfying aspects of gift giving.

As for me, I am one of the least sentimental people I know. I'm not much for cards or flowers. My dream birthday includes lots of time to read, to relax, little expectations on me in the way of chores, and maybe dinner out - in short, a day devoted to telling me how important I am, as well as a day off from regular work. I'm really easy to please and don't want the attention of a big party. At the same time, though, I DO want to be remembered. One year, my husband forgot - and he'll never make that mistake again.

How about you - do you want to be celebrated by family and friends on your birthday? Big bash or understated?

What are your family's traditions when it comes to birthdays?

Do you celebrate the birthday person in unique ways?

What would make your birthday the best ever?

by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuvingRN
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 12:07 AM

I love family celebrations....the bigger the better.

As for tradition, for the kids we always have a family dinner followed by cake.  Sometimes we've had to make sure we have two cakes because ultimately, their face ends up in one.  LOL!  We've even had cake food fights!!  We celebrate however that person wants to :)

As for what would make the best birthday ever???   Just all my friends and family with me....that's all I would need.

fallnangel3
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 4:55 AM

We don't do much for the kids birthdays and nothing for Tim or I's. 

Meltopia529
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 10:10 AM

For my brithday I like to go out to dinner with my family. I love when friends call or text me. (its nice to know they remembered)

For everyone's birthday I'll make a cake--mine included. We sing "Happy birthday to you", and usually have a small gift of some sort.

This year I turn 30! I think having a small get together with friends would be great. But I know it won't happen if I don't plan it myself. Which I'm not going to do.

hunterskysmom
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 12:26 PM
I have a party for my kids and invite family and friends over for pizza,cake and ice creme

As for me and the hubby we just go out to dinner with some friends and their kids along with our kids
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Audreesmommy757
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 2:35 PM

i love birthdays for the kids and other family members bt i love mine to be quite and kinda boreing..i like dinner and drinks and relaxing with my family

Emsbrat
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 5:50 PM

between my sister and I we have 6 children. I live away from home about 3 hours.  In the summer time we have a pool party with a picnic before and we invite all our family and friends.  The main reason we began this tradition was b/c all 3 of my kids were born in dec and one of hers was born in dec, and our fathers bday is in dec.  It was just easier and financially made more sense to make it a summertime bday b/c of weather and christmas issues.  On the kids actually bday we still get them alil something and take them out to eat. Love what we do..

Concerned101
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 6:11 PM

I can tell you how I used to celebrate my children's birthdays when they still were at home. Upon the birth of each child and while still in the hospital, I would receive a lovely flower arrangement in a nice vase.After I returned home and the flowers wilted, I would clean the vase and put a label with the newborn child's name on the bottom of the vase. Then I would put the vase inside the china cabinet with all the other cherished vases. On each child's birthday, I would take out the vase with his or her name on it, insert a floral arrangement, and use it for the centerpiece. I usually would tell each child what it was like having him or her as a newborn in the hospital and how special every day has been since then. These vases are among my most prized possessions.

terri76
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 8:50 PM

We celebrate with friends and family and either make them a favorite dinner or go out here they want to go. This year my son turns 16 so it is going to be a big bash!!!

mm_mom515
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 10:48 PM

my birthday is the same as my dads.  every year from age 9-22 we would all go see a Broadway play, then go out to dinner in NYC.  

Now as an adult and living over 1000 miles from my dad he comes here and celebrates my kids birthdays.  My kids birthdays are 10 days apart, same month as me and my dad.  So I have them share a party, they each invite there own friends, but the party's on the same day.  My dad and brother fly in for the party.  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers         Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Mamainthemiddle
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 5:00 AM

I've been a "no party" girl since I was small. I get creeped out by a lot of people looking at me! :) I celebrate my kids' birthdays in special ways...individual to them. My middle child loves to be woken up to hot breakfast and flowers, but my son would MUCH rather be left to sleep in. My youngest demands fairy wings and a tutu all day on her bday. These define my family and make me feel whole. I love our traditions. :)

My best birthday ever might be one where I get a chance to celebrate. i don't mean drinking or dancing, more just enjoy my day instead of it full of cards and well-wishes. I'd love to see someone offer me a date for lunch with them, or a night out to eat with a friend. Seems small, but it would make my year!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN