Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

One day a year, it's all about you.The day that celebrates your entry into the world, the one day that each of us should be treated like the Kings and Queens we are - it's your birthday. After all, if you can't feel special on your special day - well, it would be a pretty sad state of affairs indeed.

In our house, we like to celebrate by having ice cream cake - for breakfast. Especially when it's Daddy's birthday, ice cream cake always seems to feel both celebratory and slightly naughty - and having it with, or in place of, breakfast cereal, seems to start the day off on the right foot.

With a larger than typical amount of family members, present buying can quickly spiral out of control, and so I spend a good deal of time focusing on finding "just the right gift", as opposed to something spendy - it can be a fun challenge to try to find my husband's favorite candy or the shampoo my daughter adores. Devoting time to finding the little things that make them happy is one of the most satisfying aspects of gift giving.

As for me, I am one of the least sentimental people I know. I'm not much for cards or flowers. My dream birthday includes lots of time to read, to relax, little expectations on me in the way of chores, and maybe dinner out - in short, a day devoted to telling me how important I am, as well as a day off from regular work. I'm really easy to please and don't want the attention of a big party. At the same time, though, I DO want to be remembered. One year, my husband forgot - and he'll never make that mistake again.

How about you - do you want to be celebrated by family and friends on your birthday? Big bash or understated?

What are your family's traditions when it comes to birthdays?

Do you celebrate the birthday person in unique ways?

What would make your birthday the best ever?

by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
fanci64
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 6:08 AM

I like to have a few of my best girls over for an amazing dinner every year that I prepare. This year it is going to be a Top Chef inspired meal.  I love the show and I have decided to do a meal inspired by my favorite chefs from the past 10 seasons. It has been a lot of fun putting it all together and I cant wait to see how it all turns out. Then when we are finished there will be a limo waiting to take us out for an evening of dancing so we can work off all the calories we just took in.  lol were all getting older now just about 50 have to keep ourselves in shape. IT SHOULD BE ALOT OF FUN. 

KaylaMillar
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 11:01 AM
DH always goes all out for my birthday. Last year he took me shopping, to a movie and then to a bed an breakfast.
Meltopia529
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 11:27 AM

blowing candles 

mjimaging
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 1:06 PM
We get the meal of our choice and dessert. Other then that I really don't need a big celebration. Dinner a a movie would suffice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 1:21 PM

We have a big extended family so to cut down on having to do several birthdays every month we do one party a month for everyone born that month. Another tradtion we do is the birthday person gets to pick dinner the night of their birthday. My ideal birthday would be sleeping in followed by some special me time of coffee and getting my hair done and then a big party with lots of friends and family! 

Bmat
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 1:29 PM

The best ever for me would be if my whole family were together, whether here or someplace else.  The only thing I guess that is kind of different is that I carefully clean off a quarter and put it in the cooled cake before frosting the cake. The kids love the idea of a lucky quarter.

jessicasmom1
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 1:34 PM

we always have a family party :-) 

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Some alone time.I don't even remember the last time that happened and it would be lovely lol.

goddess99
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 3:07 PM

We do a birthday party for every family member. Sometimes more than 1 it depends. Each person gets the meal of their choice, gets a cake and ice cream - whatever they want. Invites people over (if they want to).

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Feb. 23, 2012 at 5:38 PM
Today is actually my DD's birthday. We celebrated by going to the Franklin Institute for the afternoon and then we went to Red Robin for her free birthday kids meal. Tonight my parents are coming over for cake and ice cream. She will celebrate with more family and friends on Sunday.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN