Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Spring Break means different things to different people. For those with tiny little guys, Spring Break is really no different than any other week. For those with preschoolers, it can be a stressful precursor to the dread of the end of the school year. For those parents with elementary and middle school students, Spring Break means a time to entertain the kids.

For those of us with college kids, well, we just dread Spring Break in general. :)

There are families that spend their Spring Break in foreign countries, hanging out on beaches and getting tans. My family and I don't have that luxury, and so we've spent a lot of time over the past several years developing fun plans for that vacation week. Here are some of our favorite activities

• Tourist in the City - One year, we played tourist in our city. We took a city map, circled the areas of the town that are tourist attractions - including the historic attractions - and devoted some time each day to getting to know our city from the ground up. I've lived in my city since I was five, and even I learned some new things.
  • Arts and Crafts - I am not a fan of the arts and crafts, but one spring break was exceptionally cold and rainy. I made a list of all of the crafts that my kids had begged to do - you know, the ones I vowed I'd never do. Each day, we did a couple of them. We did fingerpaint with pudding, made our own sidewalk chalk,  tie dyed bedsheets, and even painted ceramic dishes at the local pottery store. 
  • Warm Weather Bliss - Not appropriate for some parts of the USA, but if it's warm enough by you, water play can be an amazing amount of fun for kids used to being cooped up at school. If you aren't near a beach, lake or river, or it's just not warm enough, explore the idea of an overnight trip to an indoor water park. It can be a surprisingly inexpensive way to spend a day or two - and think of the memories your child will have!
  • Cooking 101 - Do you have school age children? Have they learned to cook? Spring Break is a fantastic time to teach them the ins and outs of the kitchen. Teach them to make cookies and breads, enchiladas and pie crust. Teach your children to use measuring cups and tongs, how to boil an egg and baste a chicken. These are skills that are fading fast, and the memories you create are almost as great as the food you make!

What are some of your favorite, out of the box, ways to spend Spring Break?

by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-26):
momkaribg
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 11:41 AM

These are great tips.

momkaribg
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Unfortunately i have to work.

Samanthamommy
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Mostly just beach going. 

LOswald0314
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Arts & crafts

Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 12:58 PM

We just usually hang out at home, nothing exciting here.

Leelee1008
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 1:11 PM

We drove down to the beach one year and went go karting, and had pizza on the board walk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN