Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

March Madness in the Kitchen

Posted by   + Show Post

Kitchen Mishaps. We've all got them. Some of us more than others.

Maybe you confused the salt and the sugar. Maybe you used cornstarch instead of cornmeal. Possibly you doubled a recipe and forgot to double the flour. (I may or may not be guilty of some or all of these. I'll never tell.) I'm a pretty accomplished cook, but even I have made an error or two - and I'm super guilty of what has become a family joke. I call your attention to:

The Coffee Incidents.

Plural.

I am a fierce and devoted fan of the coffee, and I have made it my mission in life to accomplish many different styles of coffee service. French press, Vietnamese, Turkish - it's all United Nations up in my coffee cabinet. The latest hurdle to jump? How to make really, really good iced coffee, in big batches. You can't just take old coffee that's been sitting around, add some ice cubes and drink. nope. There's a STYLE to it.

I found some instructions that promised to result in the Best.Cold.Coffee.EVER, with no bitter taste or unhappy mouth feel. I mixed the recommended coffee with the exact amount of water in my largest pitcher and carefully, oh so carefully, set it into the refrigerator to brew overnight. The next day, I oh-so-carefully removed the pitcher, brimming with what could only be described as black goodness, from the refrigerator and took it over to the sink. I'd lovingly lined my pasta strainer with cheesecloth, as per the directions, and gently and carefully poured the coffee mixture into the strainer.

Forgetting to put a pitcher underneath the strainer to, you know, catch the coffee that was draining through the cheesecloth. It's not bad enough that I did this once, but I actually have committed this same coffee sin THREE times.

In my defense, each time it was early in the morning.  I apparently need coffee to make the coffee. I've added paprika to my coffee in place of cinnamon sugar, (hey, they are the same color!), added soy milk instead of creamer (nothing wrong with that, just not my style) and once added milk that poured out just a tad bit clumpy. Each of those times, I didn't notice until I took a drink.

I'm not at my best in the early morning.

In the spirit of March Madness, what kind of kitchen mishaps have you been a part of, that have become family lore and created a memory for your family? Please share with us - I can't be the only kitchen klutz!

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Fertnig

by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
Leelee1008
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 12:22 PM

HAHAHAHA Im cracking up here.

Leelee1008
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I am a pretty decent cook and and equally decent if not better baker! I have had my mishaps as well. One mishap that I remember off the top of my head is the ice cream delight/pretzel salad mishap. It was the night before my sons party, i was tired, and I had alot to do. I had my friend over helping me. I mixed up the ingredients for the two deserts and it ended up turning into the white dip you dip strawberries in LOL. Figured it out on accident. I put the sugar in with the whipped cream and cream cheese for my pretzle salad and I wasnt supposed to LOL.

Leelee1008
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 12:29 PM

omg that had of been scary! Do you still cook though?

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

This happened 3 years ago (3/24) because of my cooking :/    Had a small pot of oil heating to make fresh fries..got a knock on the door and less then 5 mins later this happened.

Leelee1008
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 12:31 PM

LOL thats too funny.

Quoting amy7243:

Once I thought I was broiling ribs well 4 hours later my cousin came over and about pee'd her pants I had them in the pan drawer! She will not let me live that down.

Leelee1008
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL thats one of those funny gag jokes that will be a tradition. love them.

Quoting goddess99:

I didn't do it but my mom a few Christmases ago set some hot pads on fire so I brought them outside and threw snow on them, which of course was photographed (love that everyone in my family has a damn camera) so now I buy her hot pads every year for Christmas.

mommythree0508
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Quoting hunterskysmom:

So far so good with me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mysticalmalissa
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2012 at 12:47 PM

It was a life changing day for us thats for sure. 

LOL yes I still cook, I just dont deep fry anything anymore.

Quoting Leelee1008:

omg that had of been scary! Do you still cook though?

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

This happened 3 years ago (3/24) because of my cooking :/    Had a small pot of oil heating to make fresh fries..got a knock on the door and less then 5 mins later this happened.

mysticalmalissa
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Sorry to hear you had it happen to you too.

Yeah this one went to the ground...all thats left is the concrete blocks and the cement porch. We were very lucky because we owned another place, just down the road.  I still go dig in the ashes, once in awhile,in hopes of finding "something".

Quoting Wish2Be:

OMG ! Thats terrifying !

My house burned to the ground when I was 16. We were homeless for a month, but it was not a cooking issue.

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

LOswald0314
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Lol!!

Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by on Mar. 25, 2012 at 7:20 AM

same here

Quoting sweetlyblissful:

I think I'm a great cook!  But I've messed up more than I care to admit.  I get so annoyed when I make a mistake in the kitchen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN