Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

My dd is in 1st grade, she is a social butterfly she is good with Math and doesn't mind writing a story . The problem is apparently she is to slow when it comes to reading in 1st grade. Her DRA test for Jan. wasn't up to par.'If her scores are not up in May for it's test she will go to summer school and stay back. I personally don't think it's that bad, maybe not up to the standard level so I will work with her in any way I can. As of today I decided(with her father) no T.V. I stayed back in 1st grade & it wasn't good. I watched the friends I had started making in Nursery school all go on ahead of me. (that's not what this is about) I want to help her succeed in life & I would like to know if any mothers have been through this & did some exercises to bring their child up & out of the situation. Like getting them to want to read more. " HELP PLEASE ", that's all I'm looking for.

plant a treeSTEPHANIE

by on Mar. 10, 2012 at 7:31 AM
Replies (11-20):
faeriemom1972
by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 12:29 AM
Whatever you do, make it fun. My dd loved reading until she started school because it became a have to instead of a want to. I'm unschooling my son and he's 5 and so not interested in learning to read yet. He likes being read to though, and he's starting to ask more questions about letters so we'll see.
fallnangel3
by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 7:19 AM

First, don't take away tv.  Kids get very frustrated when they can't read well and are learning to read.  We took away tv with one of our dd's over spelling, it made things worse!  She hated spelling more because she knew that was the reason she wasn't getting to unwind by watching tv.  :(

Go to your public library and let her pick out different books to read to you.  You can have her read a different book each night.  Find an activity to go with a book that you read on a weekend, such as make a super hero cape to go with a super hero book. 

There are a ton of websites out there that help kids with reading.  Our school uses reading eggs, and my kids loved it!

DixieL
by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this

When I had my baby shower my sister bought me a rocking chair and someone gave me a blanket with the abc's on it. When he was a very little baby we would rock and I would show and tell him the ABC'S. When he could take my husband took him to the doctor and our son started pointing to and saying the ABC'S not even in order. I thought we were playing I didn't know he was learning too. I also read to him. You were only allowed 10 book's out at the library at once. I would read him all ten book's and we went back to the library the next day and get 10 more. He knew how to read in Kindnergarten and he love's to read to this day. I was really sad when he wanted to start reading on his own and my job was done. When I realized he was learning while we were having fun I got shape and number flashcard's. They learn everything so fast.

Stefono
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 10:01 AM

I have to say that the rewarding her for the more she reads works well with her. Good choice in shareing that. Some folks don't believe in doing so. I have to say I am a firm believer. As a mother of 5, this one is the ONLY one who doesn't have the " want ", to read as much as her siblings and myself( I love to read! ) But their father does not, but he still does do lite reading to help him understand things like financing, and savings, and management. Anyways thanks.'have a nice weekend

Stefono
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Thanks for sharing, yes the school did have the helpful group they did with her, witch was not enough at all. we do more at home with her than they did at that special 6 wk group. She did pass to the 2nd grade. She did go to the Summer school for her reading, they did nothing to help her better her skills, I was disappointed, but just took it as one more challenge in life. Her father and I work daily with her . we still have to push her to read at times, she is getting better with techniques we have learned and taught her.Some days we are so busy that we have to get up early; wake her up at 6 to do some specific skills with her in order to give her the time she needs to really concintrate. I really think some kids learn different than others, so us as parents have to step up a little more. For myself I'd rather be part of a solution rather than enhance the problem. Thanks again!=)

plant a treeSTEPHANIE

slw123
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for the update.  Just keep working with her.  You are her biggest advocate. 

apoynter
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 10:46 AM

With my 'weak readers' I would go to the library and get a book AND a CD/MP3 recording of the book.  Then  my child was to 'read along' with the disc.  They enjoyed the independence and the technology of doing it themselves.....took a while, but she'll come around.  Good luck.

Bluetick
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:53 AM
I HIGHLY recommend a reading tutor instead of holding her back
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stefono
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 12:52 PM

This post is from last March. she did what she had to do in school. She did pass on to 2nd grade. She did do the Summer program.For any other mothers of multiple children, I myself have 5 and they are all marvelously created on purpose for a purpose.We learn at a young age to resist or receive . Starting in our homes.  I take them to the Library. I have them involved in after school functions through the school itself and others in the Community. We have dinner together so we engage in conversation . We actually read as a family together, We are reading , " The Cricket in Times Square ", together.We do homework time together as well so that everyone can help each other.Getting our children ready for bigger responsibilities starts at home.I think reading is a big part of life. It can teach, it can inspire it can relate it can motivate and fascinate. We can take a vacation without even leaving the home. As tight as money is that can make for a big help right there.Reading is so so important. *&* so is laughter, and smiling *&* they are Free!!!!! 

BaBa1123
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Go to the libray and let her pick out the books for her age that she would be interested in.   Read every nite to her They also have books where the child reads one side of the book and the adult reads the other side of the book.   My 2 sons love reading and my youngest is just starting and cannot wait for story time.  Some of the banks like TD Bank have a summer program where the child is rewarded for reading 10 books in a certain timeframe.  Reading is needed for communication and you will both be happy once you start the program of reading every nite.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN