Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

How do you help guide your child's fashion choices?

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:49 AM
  • 33 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi ladies,

Do your children ever choose clothes that you feel may not be fitting for the day? Whether it's mismatched or not weather-appropriate?  Do you celebrate their uniqueness, let it go, or encourage a change?

girl giving flower

by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I make sure they have weather appropriate stuff in their dressers then they can pick what they want. I do sometimes make them change if they keep wearing the same stuff over and over after I wash it.

Meltopia529
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 11:30 AM

As long as its weather appropriate I don't care what he wears

MB13
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 11:55 AM

It depends on where they are going.  Church clothes/special events, school clothes (we had uniforms), and other such things had to meet my approval.  Play clothes, hanging out with friends, etc. were their choice as long as they were modest.  My daughter liked to wear the same one or two outfits all the time, so I just quit wasting money on getting extra clothes.  They were clean there was no reason why she couldn't come home from school and put on the favorite outfit each day.

sweetlyblissful
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I usually let them wear what the want.  I ask them to change if we are going out and they are wearing ripped jeans, or if they picked something that doesn't suit the weather. I do pick my DD's clothes out for school though. 

LuvingRN
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 8:57 PM

For the most part I let them wear what they want unless we're going somewhere special where certain attire is needed.  I have gotten tired of talking to the wall when asking the kids if they have their jacket, sweater, etc....so if they forget it, oh well!!  Today for example, my 10 yr old forgot his jacket....yeah, it's 40 something outside and he wore a t-shirt.  I didn't go back to get it.

Audreesmommy757
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:48 PM

i always make sure it weather appropriate if we arwe going somewhere but if she wants to wear a tank top and shorts with snow boots and gloves in the house then im all for letting her wear it....its fun to see their uniqueness and style

proudldsmama3
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 11:11 PM

it kind of depends on what exactly they pick out....if its 30' outside and my 5 yr old thinks its the perfect day for her spring dress then she changes lol but as long as it's weather appropriate and at least almost matches i'll let her pick out her clothes. ( i really dont have that problem with my son 10 or my other daughter 7 ) it is good, i think, to let them have some freedom with clothing but i usually have things on hand i already approve of and they can pick from that. hope that was helpful :)

LuLuRex
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 11:18 AM

My kids are so young that their style is whatever I put on them. I do have to hide certain clothes from my 3 year old or else he'd want to wear the same thing every day. He is going through a big time Batman phase!

lizmarie1975
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I usually let her wear whatever she wants. She's 6 and she's gone out in some doozies but hey...she was dressed. Sometimes she'll try going for a monochromatic look but I have to tell her that just because she's wearing ALL pink doesn't mean that the three or 4 different variations of pink actually look good together...with maroon boots.

Something like this (what you don't see is that the pants she is wearing are actually capris):

Other times she'll put together a really cute outfit and I'll wonder why she can't do that all the time!

My oldest is 15 and as long as it's black he's good.

Reina13
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 11:40 AM

By boys were always pretty easy. They didnt fuss when I would choose the clothes for them to wear for the day. With the exception of the shoe story I posted, they generally went with what I said.

Even now as they are older, and obviously 'style' themselves, often they come to me ask if they look okay...lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN