Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

When it comes to what kids want to be when they grow up, their options are colorful and varied.  Limited only by their imaginations, kids can be anything that their minds can create. My mom loves to tell the story of me, when I was five years old and asked by a grown up what I wanted to be. Apparently, the two choices that were highest in my mind were a nun - or a stripper.

And how I knew about the second option, she had NO idea.

Kids are funny. At any given time, my own kids have vowed to be police officers, priests, teachers, opera singers, veterinarians, mounted police, and mommies with lots of babies. It can be tough to listen to each of those choices with a straight face, to avoid laughing at the earnest little face that vows to be a brick maker or cookie taster. To see that little face look up and you and hear the words, "I want to be a..." means to face the future in all of it's glory - are you ready for that?

Listen to Your Child - The desire to be a ballerina might sound far fetched, but maybe your child really does love to dance - and someone has to be the dancer in the family. Respect your child enough to lend credence to any job that is mentioned. After all, it's not up to you to throw a dash of reality on the child - society does that all too well. Is there some way you can help your child to realize their dreams?

Take Her Seriously - Above all, remember that you are the parent. You are the first person that a child will, many times, confide in, and if you blow up the child's dream to write a book, you could be causing more harm than you know. If your child has a desire to work in a field that is not typical for her gender, don't try to dissuade her with facts. Instead, support her and help her circumnavigate those gender roadblocks.

Expose Him to Many Different Careers - I once knew a boy whose father decided that his young son would be a banker. He took to every single activity that had anything to do with banking - and nothing else. As a result, when this boy failed math in college and ultimately flunked out, he had absolutely no idea in what else he could possibly interested. Expose your child to all kinds of things in all kinds of situations. You have no idea what will stick.

Build Interests - If your child loves to build, enroll him in classes that encourage this love. Maybe he will move from Lego club to Minecraft to architecture.

Don't Overlook the Obvious - Say your child likes to play sports. Odds are, there won't be a professional ball player in your future - but just maybe your child could be a great coach, athletic advisor or personal trainer. Your child might love to read - and while few people can get paid to lay around and read, it's entirely possible your child could be a librarian - or a publisher!

Never Limit Based on Gender - Fifty years ago, girls were very limited to their choices - but no longer. If your daughter wants to be an attorney or a judge, be sure to encourage her and don't tell her she's can't do it becuse she's female. She will certainly hear much of that in her life, but help her to feel that you are 100% on her side.

What did you want to be when you grew up, and did you keep the same career choice? What have your kids said they'd like to be when they grow up? How do you encourage these goals?

©iStockphoto.com/ michaeljung

by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-37):
smoothkitty
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:17 AM
My son is 12. From the first day of preschool till this morning, he has asked not to go to school. Hates going, Monday morning stomach ache....he wants to be a teacher. Go figure.
TS2
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:34 PM

My 11 year old informed me last night "If I don't get into NASA, I want to be a plastic surgeon.  I could make new bewbies and butts and dimples and lots and lots of money!!" mind you she was singing all of this in a weird gravely kind of voice and shaking all of the parts she was referring to.  I laughed so hard I got the hiccups!

jpalmer
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 5:33 PM
I wanted to be an astronaut and live on mars...lol

Now i'm a SAHM with an RN...lol

My 19yr old is going to school for gaming/graphic desighn

My 9yr old wants to be a teacher

And my 6yr old wants to play basketball for UK college ball...lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:49 PM

when my oldest became an adult he wants to be a writer. I told him if he didn't start writing I was going to put a boot up his rear. (of course he knows I am kidding but I am also serious because I think he is messing up if he doesn't become one) and when we decided what to do till he gets his first book written he had taken maitnance in job corp and couldn't get a job without hvac liscense so I told him I wasn't giving him a choice he was going to get his hvac liscense ( again he knew I was kidding but serious) so he went to school and got it. I told him hvac would pay better than maitnance anyway. Me and my son have a relationship where he knows I really wouldn't do it but that is my way of saying your screwing up if you don't listen to me. Now my 4 yr old wants to be a dinosaur when he grows up. :)

SaraCVT
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:36 PM
I didn't really know what I wanted to be until about 11, when I settled on veterinarian, and yes, I did keep to that ambition. I was so serious about it that I volunteered with our local vet during the summers, and went to WSU, because it had the best vet college west of the Mississippi. I ended up as a certified vet tech, those assistants who do everything the vets don't, even running the anesthesia during surgery.

My eldest daughter, who has Asperger's, wants to be professional chef when she grows up. We are doing everything we can to encourage this. It does seem a good fit--she has a "my way or the highway" personality, and many executive chefs run their kitchens the same way. I am SO pleased that we've come far enough that, even though she's autistic, this is a plausible goal.

My other daughter likes science and wants to do something with that. She hasn't gone beyond "scientist" in her aspiration, though. We'll see.
ssmesq
by on May. 11, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I wanted to be a ballerina, a horse trainer, a scientist, an actor, a teacher, and a lawyer, in that order.  I am now a Human Resources Administrator for a small company.  Who knows what you're going to be?

Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by on May. 11, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I wanted to be a soldier like my sister. I was going to enlist in the Army but things didn't work out :(

My oldest wants to work with animals, he is obsessed with them, and knows more about them that your average person.

My youngest wants to be in the Army

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN