Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Letters From Home

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 36 Replies

Ask any person you know over the age of 50, and I'm willing to bet that she has a letter, tucked away somewhere special. It might be from her first boyfriend, her dear Aunt Tilly, or her best friend, the one who moved away when she was 12. Your grandpa may very well be holding on to a special piece of mail he received while he was away fighting in the Great War, or  he might have a letter from a grandchild tucked safely away.

Special letters. We've all got 'em. Except that in this day of email, Facebook and text messaging, those treasured memories may soon go the way of the stagecoach. Rarely do people take the time to sit down and write a letter to a friend - using paper! and a pen! and a stamp! - instead, you are apt to be the recipient of a heartfelt e-card.

Which is not quite the same thing.

When my children were little, they loved to write letters to me. I've saved some of the best - Thank you for sending me to this school. So far, I liked all my teachers - and, every once in a while, I pull them out and re read them. It brings a smile to my face to see the childish print, to read the words that may not mean what they thought it meant, and to be able to see the toddler in my grown child.

I also have letters from my parents, and even one from one of my grandparents. I didn't save them for what they said as much as for what they didn't say.  A letter from home is a hug, an embrace, a You're going to be alright no matter what happens. A reassurance. A light during the darkest times.

Why not make a special trip to the store and purchase a few cards, or some special stationery?Find a block of time in which you will not be interrupted and think of someone special in your life. Maybe a friend who was always there for you - until she moved to the other coast. Maybe a teacher who was instrumental in your education, or a secretary or nurse at your doctor's office who went above and beyond the call of duty. Take a few minutes and write a letter from the heart. Tell them how you feel.

It won't go unappreciated.

Do you have letters that you've saved? Are there letters in your family that hold special meaning?

ŠiStockphoto.com/GrenouilleFilms

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vikki77
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:49 AM
I have letters and poems and pictures my kids drew. Also letters I wrote and never had the nerve to send. Lol my fiance still has the napkin with my phone number on it in his wallet. It's been there for over 3 years. And he has letters I wrote to him before I moved in.

I think I will write my sister in law a letter. She only lives across town, but I never tell her how much she means to me. I just always figure she knows. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SabrinaLC
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:18 AM

The only letters I have saved are some from middle school.

I think I have one or two from my cousin while he was overseas and maybe one from my step-brother as well.

Audreesmommy757
by Diana on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:06 AM

i have a few letters from school and fan clubs lol....one from my grandmother wishing me a happy birthday

Meltopia529
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:43 AM

yes, i have saved every letter my hubby wrote while we were dating. I also hold on to card with special meaning

LuvingRN
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:12 AM
I have a lot of letters and things saved from my younger years and my kids. They hold a lot of sentimental value.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terri76
by Terriny on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:59 AM
I have quite a few letters saved from my son's father when we were together and he was in the military. I read them all like once a year!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hunterskysmom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:39 PM
I have no letters saved
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mysticalmalissa
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Until our house fire, I had a lot of notes and letters from family and friends. Even a love note with a tiny tow truck drawn on it from my 1st grade crush forty some odd years ago. LOL

gacgbaker
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:47 AM

I have saved many letters that my grandparents wrote to us, I'll let the kids read them as they get older so they can get an idea of who they are more.  

I also save all the letters my husband writes.  

MommaNuney
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:14 AM

I have letters and other sentimental items in a little shoe box from my hubby before we were married :-)

I also have a box of notes from high school exchanged between me and my best friends!! So funny to did them out and see what was going on and all the "drama" in our lives!!

I have the last letter that my Grandma sent me a month before she passed away :-(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)