Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Ask any person you know over the age of 50, and I'm willing to bet that she has a letter, tucked away somewhere special. It might be from her first boyfriend, her dear Aunt Tilly, or her best friend, the one who moved away when she was 12. Your grandpa may very well be holding on to a special piece of mail he received while he was away fighting in the Great War, or  he might have a letter from a grandchild tucked safely away.

Special letters. We've all got 'em. Except that in this day of email, Facebook and text messaging, those treasured memories may soon go the way of the stagecoach. Rarely do people take the time to sit down and write a letter to a friend - using paper! and a pen! and a stamp! - instead, you are apt to be the recipient of a heartfelt e-card.

Which is not quite the same thing.

When my children were little, they loved to write letters to me. I've saved some of the best - Thank you for sending me to this school. So far, I liked all my teachers - and, every once in a while, I pull them out and re read them. It brings a smile to my face to see the childish print, to read the words that may not mean what they thought it meant, and to be able to see the toddler in my grown child.

I also have letters from my parents, and even one from one of my grandparents. I didn't save them for what they said as much as for what they didn't say.  A letter from home is a hug, an embrace, a You're going to be alright no matter what happens. A reassurance. A light during the darkest times.

Why not make a special trip to the store and purchase a few cards, or some special stationery?Find a block of time in which you will not be interrupted and think of someone special in your life. Maybe a friend who was always there for you - until she moved to the other coast. Maybe a teacher who was instrumental in your education, or a secretary or nurse at your doctor's office who went above and beyond the call of duty. Take a few minutes and write a letter from the heart. Tell them how you feel.

It won't go unappreciated.

Do you have letters that you've saved? Are there letters in your family that hold special meaning?

ŠiStockphoto.com/GrenouilleFilms

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
TheBabyFactory4
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:02 PM
I don't really get letters. I did when my ex was in military but I didn't keep him after I left him
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I save all the notes that my husband leaves me, sometimes.

Samanthamommy
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I kept some letters that I found my mom had written to my grandpa when she was a teenager.

Samanthamommy
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I can't wait to start getting letters from my kids. :)

Samanthamommy
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:58 PM

This reminds me, I should start writing letters in my kids lunchboxes. :)

Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I just got back in touch with my Aunt after about 10 years last Summer.  When I got back home her and I started writing each other and I have every single letter she wrote me and I cherish them because she is my favorite Aunt ever.

jessicasmom1
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Yes, I am  very glad to have alot of my husbands things since he has passed 11 years ago now, I keep all DD's work as she grows ..... priceless

Bmat
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Yes, I saved letters from my fiance when I was away at university, and from my grandmas.

elijahsmama09
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 4:06 PM
Yes, from my grandfather
Rushn311
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 4:28 PM

My mom passed away at age 13, I have some birthday cards from her still. I kept love letters from exes, letters/cards from old friends-I just want to remember them even tho I've been told it's stupid to hold onto it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)