Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rainy Day Fun

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 32 Replies
2 moms liked this

When grown ups wake up to rain, they grumble and groan.Oh, yuck, it's a rainy day, it's going to ruin the traffic and all of my plans for today are shot. When  kid wakes up and sees the rain, he thinks to himself, Cool. It's raining.

How and when do we lose the fun of a rainy day?

After all, if you let your kids play outside on a rainy day, and you take the time to really observe them, you will notice something powerful - they are having fun. Instead of being annoyed by the rain or bothered by it, they simply enjoy it. Have you ever thought that maybe we, as adults, could stand to learn a little bit from our kids?

Here are some way to discover the fun that a rainy day can be:

• Wet spring weather may bring flowers, but it also can make outdoor fun a bit tough to manage. Or can it? Why not put your rain boots and raincoat on and go out in the rain with your kids? Look at the different leaves and trees and notice the way the water pools on them. What in your yard or park looks completely different when it's wet?
  • Take your camera outside - under an umbrella, or use a waterproof model - and take some photos of your kids. You'll get a completely different look than you will when the weather is good, and these shots make for great conversation.
  • If it's just too cold outside, why not have a movie day? Bundle up under some blankets, pop some popcorn and start a movie marathon.
  • Spend a rainy day cooking. Whip out your favorite cookie recipes, choose a new granola or maybe a yummy muffin recipe. Grab an apron and mixing bowl and banish the raniy day blues with something yummy.
  • Make a tent in your living room out of bedsheets and a table. Banish all electronics and have an afternoon readathon. Maybe listen to books on tape and act them out, or take turns partner reading thee scariest book you can find!
  • Call up Grandma or Grandpa and ask them to tell your child a story. Maybe Grandda was in World War II, or Granny once met a queen. Ask your child to illustrate the story as it's being told, and then mail the picture to the grandparent.
  • I once spent a rainy Saturday painting my kids bathroom. I'm not too sure I'd recommend that, but it did get the job done and it looks awesome. Do you have a project you've been putting off? Rainy days can be the best days to organize the pantry or closets, and your kids can be busy for hours with the treasure that they locate!

What are some of your favorite ways to spend a rainy day?

ŠiStockphoto.com/AnitaPatterson

by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Audreesmommy757
by Diana on May. 2, 2012 at 7:37 AM
1 mom liked this

we do crafts...make tents/forts color ect

MommaNuney
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Crafts and movie days. If it's warm outside and not storming I will let them run around in the rain :-)

dusky_rose
by Sue on May. 2, 2012 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I live in Washington state, so a rainy day is just another day to me. I just go about my life as usual. LOL

I'm thankful for a hubby that loves me, 4 healthy children, a warm
place to sleep and enough food for our meals... God bless America!

Bmat
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I love these ideas. I hadn't thought of taking pictures of them in the rain.  We do the sheet tent idea. and cookies. :)

Meltopia529
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

We usually bake cookies when it rains. If its a really bad thunderstorm, we'll build a fort and "hide" from it.

EDDES
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes...................... it is good to sleep while it rains...it amost feels as if time has stopped when I am exhausted from doing too much and then it does rain & I am all alone in the house, I need to get the rest and the water pouring down is such a peaceful and tranquil setting and helps me fall asleep faster so that I can be rejuvinated again.

Other times, when it rains, it is a good idea to get out there and get some fresh air and look at all of the trees and the glistening water on the leaves.

The sky changes color dramaticly, at times and then there is, all of a sudden, a lighter rain or a heavier rain lots of changes going on of wind blowing leaves around and the water that is coming down, swerves in the air.

There are the rains that go on all day and it is teeming outside and then it stops suddently or gradually and very slowly it starts to get hot and the sun starts to show itself again. 

The air smells fragrant of flowers and herbs, clean and inviting and my toddler loves to pick up the wet leaves that he finds here and there or touch the wet grass after the rain. We do enjoy our walks together after the rain.umbrella

EDDES
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I absolutely love this picture of this Child in the Rain. It looks like the picture you would find on Calendar or on a Post Card.

It did come out really great!

And I love the fact that you managed to capture the Wonderful essence of innocence and youth and a Wholesome Living Of Peaceful Tranquility in a Moment of Time..........................in the Rain.welcome spring.gif

80s bluei love being here; thank you for spending time with me and sharing your thoughts. 

hunterskysmom
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this
We don't do much of anything other then sit around and watch TV
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaNuney
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:55 AM

We also love to do some rainbow hunting :-)

I love to take pictures of the clouds and the sky during thunderstorms and rainstorms!!

KaylaMillar
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:14 AM
The mall! I LOVE rainy daus
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)