Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When grown ups wake up to rain, they grumble and groan.Oh, yuck, it's a rainy day, it's going to ruin the traffic and all of my plans for today are shot. When  kid wakes up and sees the rain, he thinks to himself, Cool. It's raining.

How and when do we lose the fun of a rainy day?

After all, if you let your kids play outside on a rainy day, and you take the time to really observe them, you will notice something powerful - they are having fun. Instead of being annoyed by the rain or bothered by it, they simply enjoy it. Have you ever thought that maybe we, as adults, could stand to learn a little bit from our kids?

Here are some way to discover the fun that a rainy day can be:

• Wet spring weather may bring flowers, but it also can make outdoor fun a bit tough to manage. Or can it? Why not put your rain boots and raincoat on and go out in the rain with your kids? Look at the different leaves and trees and notice the way the water pools on them. What in your yard or park looks completely different when it's wet?
  • Take your camera outside - under an umbrella, or use a waterproof model - and take some photos of your kids. You'll get a completely different look than you will when the weather is good, and these shots make for great conversation.
  • If it's just too cold outside, why not have a movie day? Bundle up under some blankets, pop some popcorn and start a movie marathon.
  • Spend a rainy day cooking. Whip out your favorite cookie recipes, choose a new granola or maybe a yummy muffin recipe. Grab an apron and mixing bowl and banish the raniy day blues with something yummy.
  • Make a tent in your living room out of bedsheets and a table. Banish all electronics and have an afternoon readathon. Maybe listen to books on tape and act them out, or take turns partner reading thee scariest book you can find!
  • Call up Grandma or Grandpa and ask them to tell your child a story. Maybe Grandda was in World War II, or Granny once met a queen. Ask your child to illustrate the story as it's being told, and then mail the picture to the grandparent.
  • I once spent a rainy Saturday painting my kids bathroom. I'm not too sure I'd recommend that, but it did get the job done and it looks awesome. Do you have a project you've been putting off? Rainy days can be the best days to organize the pantry or closets, and your kids can be busy for hours with the treasure that they locate!

What are some of your favorite ways to spend a rainy day?

ŠiStockphoto.com/AnitaPatterson

by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-32):
Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:06 PM

We sit in the house with the door open (I love the smell of rain) and watch movies and play games, it's so much fun :)

MissErinB
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:05 PM

I like the idea of getting outside & taking pics because I love taking photographs & being outside, just never thought to do both when raining. Hmm, need to put rain boots/coats on shopping list :) Thanks for the ideas!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)