Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Making Sure Teachers Feel The Love

Posted by   + Show Post

I once had this teacher. He was my third grade teacher, and his name was Mr. Lucas. He was the best teacher I've ever had - he made learning fun, the classroom was exciting and alive and I looked forward to going to school every day. It helped that he was what could have been classified as a "hippie", and many days I wondered what he'd be wearing in the class when I arrived.

Truly, going to school in the 1970's was interesting. Especially the bean sprout sandwiches on whole wheat bread that he packed.

Teachers have one of the toughest jobs around. They have to impart grade specific wisdom into children who may not be willing participants. These days, they have the added pressure of broken families, childhood hunger and obesity, and overzealous parents with whom they have to contend  - and, yet, people are still signing up for the job.

This school year, one of my children was put into the classroom of a woman who I truly feel is the best teacher that has ever lived. She makes each child feel loved and appreciated, special and adored. She has a good grasp on discipline, and yet no one ever leaves her class angry or unheard. It has truly been a miraculous year.

One of my other children has not been so lucky.  In fact, I often have wondered why this particular teacher chose to teach - she clearly does not enjoy the job or the children. I've all but given up and now I'm anxiously awaiting the end of the school year.

That's sad, but it's all too common.

One thing that teachers never get enough of - well, besides money - is appreciation. Sure, the little children in early elementary years might draw a picture for the teacher, but I'm talking about real, honest to goodness appreciation. When I make cookies, I send some in to my kids' teachers. At Christmas, I made each teacher a loaf of bread and delivered it with a jar of honey butter. I send in extra tissues and hand sanitizer, pencils and copies of the reading books. I've donated the books my children no longer read to the classroom libraries, and I've been known to bring a teacher a cup of Starbucks on a random day for after school enjoyment.

At the end of this school year, my favorite teachers will receive a soft sided beach cooler and a beach towel (bought in bulk at the end of last summer). I want them to know how much I appreciate all of the work that they do, all of the sacrifices they do and everything they've given up - all to teach my children.

Making a teacher feel important doesn't take much, but it can go a long way towards helping that teacher enjoy the job and feel willing to go the extra steps.

Who are your kids' most inspiring teachers, and why? What are some creative ways you let them know how much they're appreciated?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ kali9

by on May. 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-25):
gacgbaker
by on May. 17, 2012 at 5:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Army_Mom_2_Boyz:

I love my sons teacher this year. She actually shows that she cares about the kids and their education. She has helped my son so much with his ADD, and is so patient with him.

So on holidays we make cookies or buy her something from the store and bring it to her. My son will make pictures for her sometimes. I am so grateful for her!

My kids teachers love homemade cards!

gacgbaker
by on May. 17, 2012 at 5:40 AM

Quoting mommyladnad:

Thank you for your thoughtful post. I am a teacher, and a mother, so I have a view on both sides... My son's teacher this year is fantastic, and has instilled a love for learning and an enthusiasm for school in him  that I am absolutely thrilled about. I send her thank-you notes every now and then out of the blue just to let her know how much I appreciate her dedication. 

As a teacher, a simple thank you is all I really need. It is very rewarding to see the children learning and growing, and learning to explore the world around them with the purpose of gaining knowledge. The kids in and of themselves are a joy. It is nice to have the work that I put into my job recognized by parents, but that is not why I became a teacher. It really is all about the kids! 

That is so true- we underestimate the power of just saying thank you so often- it's always nice to be appreciated with a thank you and a good job!

gacgbaker
by on May. 17, 2012 at 5:42 AM

Quoting Rushn311:

My daughter gave two handmade cards to two of her teachers. I was going to give money, but we didn't get the notice till this May 7th, and they needed it in by May 4th. Yeah-confusing. We had a rough week so I didn't fight it.

yikes, that isn't good- sorry you missed the oppertunity to give, but sounds like you have apprecaited the teacher in other ways, which is great!

gacgbaker
by on May. 17, 2012 at 5:45 AM

Quoting terri76:

My son has had many great teachers over the years. I always made something for them or we got gift cards to someplace special that we knew the teacher liked. now that he is in high school that kinda goes out the window for him. but i am friendly with each of his teachers he just does not know lol. I volunteer alot so i get to know them!!!! I hate that some of them never get the appreciation that they deserve!!!

One teacher I knew said she loved gift cards because it gave her the option to purchase things for her classroom and kids if she wanted, I always hope they will spend it on themselves, but she is such a giver and she really got great joy in being able to get the gift card and spend it on other people.

gacgbaker
by on May. 17, 2012 at 5:46 AM

We make cards and send them in on their birthday and other days just to say thank you.  I've also made homemade granola bars for them- it's a good snack and they love that they are homemade.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)