Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

What would you do if your kid brought one of these pledges home?

Posted by on May. 17, 2012 at 5:51 AM
  • 10 Replies

New 'Prom Pledge' Trend Could Keep Your Teen From Getting Cancer

Posted by Jeanne Sager on May 15, 2012 

tanningIf Tanning Mom -- you know, the woman who allegedly brought her kid into the booth with her to get some concentrated cancer-causing rays sent in her direction -- has you terrified, how about some good news? The latest trend in pre-prom pledges has turned from the standard no sex, no drinking promises to one that should put a sunny smile on your face. Kids are swearing they won't tan before the biggest dance of the year.

I have one question. Where can I get one of these pledges, and can I make my kid sign it now? OK, I guess that was two questions. But I'm so caught up in the excitement of it all, you'll just have to work with me here.

Parents need breaks like this. We need kids jumping on board en masse to push our kids to change. We have it hard enough with the actual omnipresent sun threatening to give our kids cancer. The tanning booth is like an evil place on this planet just to spur yet another fight with our teens. I can picture the conversation now:

"But Susie's mom let's her go to the tanning booth."

"I'm not Susie's mom. I don't want you to have melanoma before you go to college."

"You're the meanest mom ever, and I hate you."

Sound of stomping followed by the door slamming.

Sigh.

I remember what it was like to be a teenager with pasty white skin. I was raised in the eighties and nineties, when you weren't having a fun summer if you hadn't spent at least one night with ice on your shoulders or one weekend peeling skin off your best friend's back. Even with a mom who is a nurse and talks up sunscreen like she owns stock in the company, I spent many a day out in the backyard in barely there clothing trying to avoid yet another teenage boy calling me Casper.

We fought like crazy over that disgusting white stuff she wanted to smear all over my back. And I'm already there with my daughter, having the same fight. Although at 6, my kid is fighting back against the tube of sunscreen more because she wants to get outside NOW, less because she actually digs browner skin ... but I know it's coming.

The power of a pre-prom anti-tanning pledge isn't simply in keeping kids out of the tanning booths for a few months. It's the power of peer pressure, which -- as little as we like to admit it -- can be much stronger in the teen years than a parent's rules. I'm willing to cede control if it means saving my kid's life ... or keeping her from turning into Tanning Mom.

What would you do if your kid brought one of these pledges home?

by on May. 17, 2012 at 5:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommynac
by on May. 17, 2012 at 6:28 AM

I wouldn't encourage or allow my child to tan, so nothing!

Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by on May. 17, 2012 at 7:59 AM

I have boys so I don't think that will really be an issue, they already have dark skin.

MommaNuney
by on May. 17, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Probably wouldn't do anything, my oldest said she's going to spray tan :-)

Meltopia529
by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I used the tanning bed when I was younger. But I would encourage my children to spray tan.

LuvingRN
by on May. 17, 2012 at 11:44 AM
This

Quoting Meltopia529:

I used the tanning bed when I was younger. But I would encourage my children to spray tan.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jpalmer
by on May. 17, 2012 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Me to...lol...they can be outside for ten minutes and they have already tanned a little...lol

Quoting Army_Mom_2_Boyz:

I have boys so I don't think that will really be an issue, they already have dark skin.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetlyblissful
by on May. 18, 2012 at 1:22 AM
I would encourage my kids make healthy choices for themselves. And I'd be fine with it. But they should make the choices themselves and not feel like they were pushed into it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SabrinaLC
by on May. 18, 2012 at 9:10 AM

It's interesting.

Holztastic
by on May. 18, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I don't believe in tanning, so I would be all for it. If my child wants to be tan, she can get bronzing lotion.

hunterskysmom
by on May. 18, 2012 at 12:40 PM
God made sun and outdoors for a reason I believe in the old fashion way of getting tanned
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN