Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Card Showers Make Everyone Feel Special

Posted by   + Show Post

I don't know about you, but going to the mailbox used to be an adventure. Once upon a time, I'd almost skip to the mailbox - I just KNEW that someone had sent me something special, a card that meant I was thought of and missed, a card to tell me how special I was in another person's life. Now, I dread the mailbox. All I ever find inside it's dark hallows are bills, junk mail and catalogues.

Pretty much everyone I know feels this way. It's called being a grown up, I think- but it really doesn't have to be this way.

Think of someone special in your community. Is there a teacher who goes above and beyond? A Sunday School worker who treats your precious children as if they were her own, who goes well beyond the boundaries of just doing her job? Maybe the bus driver who waits for you when you've just about missed the bus yet again, or the super market clerks who greets everyone as they come in, no matter the weather or how he feels?

Is there a hairdresser who makes you feel like a rock star, a shoe store clerk who saves the exact pair of shoes in just your size, all because he knows you will love them?

Or maybe it's your mom. Or your auntie, your zumba teacher or the barista who has your coffee ready every morning when you walk in the coffee shop. Whoever it is, there's someone in your life that could use a Card Shower. A Card Shower requires no hot water, no soap, no towels and no discomfort - it's all about making someone else feel like a rock star, to feel appreciated and important and loved.

It's an amazing idea.

Round up a few friends and pick a deserving recepient. Will it be the teacher who makes learning seem like play time? Maybe the congregation can come together to shower a Rabbi who makes Hebrew study a breeze. What would you tell this person? What would you want him to know? Plan for each of you to write a simple, yet heartfelt note, and drop them in the mail. Coordinate the cards so that a few arrive each day, and get ready to see your special someone light up in anticipation when the mail truck pulls away.

Who will you shower wtih cards?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ ktaylorg

by on May. 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-26):
Bmat
by on May. 24, 2012 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I send cards to friends from their cats. LOL!  Happy Meowmie's Day! LOL!

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2012 at 4:30 PM

My kids love getting cards!

gacgbaker
by on May. 25, 2012 at 6:06 AM

Quoting LuvingRN:

Hmmm....I would love to shower my kids teachers.  They are amazing!!!

Oh that's a good idea!

gacgbaker
by on May. 25, 2012 at 6:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Bmat:

I send cards to friends from their cats. LOL!  Happy Meowmie's Day! LOL!

LOL, cute!

gacgbaker
by on May. 25, 2012 at 6:07 AM

Quoting slw123:

I'm really not good about sending cards at all.

Me neither- I used to be really good, but as the years passed and kids added up, I haven't been great at it.  

teamwhitlow
by on May. 30, 2012 at 2:57 PM

what a great idea...and a great way to let someone know how much their efforts mean. We all get weary from time to time and what a loving way to give someone encouragement for a job well done. I could see doing this for my son's teachers and school in general...they are amazing and it shows in the kids and atmosphere. Thanks for this!

He has replaced my mourning with joy and my ashes for beauty. He has put His Spirit in me and given me a new name (Ana) and a new heart. His love and compassion go beyond my comprehension and His forgiveness and faithfulness go to the stars and beyond...boundless...timeless...limitless...Jesus is my Lord and my God!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN