Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

How to fake Betty Crocker cookie mixes. Sweet!

Posted by   + Show Post

I found this on (http://fakeitfrugal.blogspot.com/2012/02/fake-betty-crocker-cookie-mixes.html)

Fake Betty Crocker Cookie Mixes

Ever have one of those "Ah-ha!" moments?  I happened to me yesterday when I was lamenting the price of those very convenient Betty Crocker Cookie Mixes.  I remember when they used to only cost $1.00 each in Walmart and now they're $2.50 each!  Who says there's no inflation? 

Anyway, I usually just tell myself that I can make cookies from scratch anytime with the plentiful ingredients of my pantry, but then it came to me...Why can't I make cookie pre-mixes and keep them in ziplock bags for use at my convenience?  It's a similar idea to those beautiful Cookies In A Jar gifts, but just not as fancy! 

So, I've come up with recipes for four of my family's favorite Betty Crocker Cookie Mixes.  They are a cinch to put together for your quick use later!  They're also as convenient as the Betty Crocker Mixes in that they only require butter, egg and vanilla to make!

Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix
Credit
Fake Betty Crocker Chocolate Chip Cookies:

1 Cup Flour
1/4 Cup White Sugar
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt
3/4 Cup Chocolate Chips

Mix together and store in a quart size ziplock bag.  Write instructions on the bag to add:  1 Stick Softened Butter, 1 Large Egg, 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract.  Mix & Bake at 350 degrees for 9-11 minutes.

Sugar Cookie Mix
Credit
Fake Betty Crocker Sugar Cookies:

1 1/2 Cups Flour
3/4 Cup White Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt

Mix together and store in a quart size ziplock bag.  Write instructions on the bag to add:  1 Stick Softened Butter, 1 Large Egg, 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract.  Mix & Bake at 350 degrees for 9-11 minutes. 

Oatmeal Cookie Mix
Credit

Fake Betty Crocker Oatmeal Cookies:

1 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup White Sugar
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1 1/2 Cup Rolled Oats
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
Optional: 1/2 Cup Raisins and/or Nuts

Mix together and store in a quart size ziplock bag.  Write instructions on the bag to add:  1 Stick Melted Butter, 1 Large Egg, 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract.  Mix, Refrigerate for 30 Minutes & Bake at 350 degrees for 9-11 minutes. 

<em>Betty Crocker Gingerbread Cookie Mix</em> 17.5 oz. Makes 3 Dozen 2" <em>Cookie</em>
Credit
Fake Betty Crocker Gingerbread Cookies:

1 3/4 Cup Flour
3/4 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
3/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 Tablespoon Ground Ginger
1 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon Ground Cloves

Mix together and store in a quart size ziplock bag.  Write instructions on the bag to add:  1/2 Stick Softened Butter, 1 Large Egg, 1/8 Cup Molasses.  Mix & Bake at 350 degrees for 9-11 minutes. 

I put together these 8 different mixes in under 20 minutes!

The Fake-It Yourself Breakdown:

Fake Betty Crocker Cookie Mixes (Pantry Ingredients, Between $0.30-$0.40 each mix)

Total Fake-It Cost:  $3.20 (possibly less) for 8 Cookie Mixes

Compare to Real Betty Crocker Cookie Mixes ($2.50+ each)

Total Fake-It Savings:  $16.80

by on May. 28, 2012 at 9:48 PM
Replies (11-16):
Meltopia529
by on May. 30, 2012 at 8:44 AM

I saw this on pinterest. I LOVE IT

carolyng2012
by on May. 30, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Good idea, you can bet I'm gonna fake it to.

chloesmommy777
by on May. 30, 2012 at 10:30 PM

You rock! =)

Audreesmommy757
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:35 AM

wow what a great deal..thanks for shareing

chris13
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 12:14 PM

BUMP!

XR100_Mama
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 12:45 PM
I just added Chocolate Chip cookie mix up using prices for ingredients in my area.
.11 flour
.06 white sugar
.37 brown sugar
1.25 chocolate chips
.02 baking soda
.01 salt

Total= $1.82 *8= $14.56

That does not include the egg or butter.
.25 egg
1.00 Butter
Vanilla too! (I use lots so it doesn't count!)

Total=$3.07 *8= $24.56

But the thing is, that is only if you already have the ingredients on hand. If you had to buy say the chocolate chips, which are on average $3 (I buy the kind which are about $4 a bag because I'm a snob LOL) you obviously spend more.

Still not bad, better than a pre made mix! Cheaper than buying the yuck bakery kind too. These would be good but I couldn't make too much ahead of time or we might get fat! ;)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)