Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Summer Memories and Childhood

Posted by   + Show Post

When I was a kid, we took road trip after road trip during the summer months. I have sharp memories of asking my mom what clothes I should pack, and she replied, "Just dump your short and shirt drawers into your bag. That should be enough."

We spent every summer that we could frolicking with cousins, running like unsupervised wild animals up and down country roads and played so hard that we crashed as soon as we hit the bed.I got to know my cousins, spend time with my grandparents, and learn that chicken doesn't come shrink wrapped in the freezer section for most of the world.

Looking back on it, I realize that my mom was a brave woman to drive halfway across the continent with three girls. I only really came to a more vivid understanding of this last summer, when I took a 2 week road trip from my house in Virginia to my dad's in Texas, with stops along the way in Georgia, Memphis and Mississippi. I'm still not sure how I managed to avoid being committed to a mental hospital after the trip ended.

We've all got our summer memories. Maybe you spent summers at the lake. Maybe you visited loved ones. Or, perhaps you stayed close to home and enjoyed the freedom afforded by the summer months.There's a lot to be said for staying home during the summer months - visiting the pool, water park or beach, or spending time at the library or Recreation center. Most book stores and libraries have summer reading clubs, and there are many local businesses that offer daily deals and inexpensive admission rates - especially valuable on those oppressively hot and/or nasty weather days.

There are an amazing assortment of activities available to fill the summer - there's no excuse for any mom to hear those dreaded words, "I'm bored!"

What are your favorite memories from your summers as a child. What did you do? What do you miss most? With whom did you spend the bulk of your time?

ŠiStockphoto.com/lisegagne

by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (71-79):
buttersworth
by New Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 12:25 PM

we didn't take vacations when i was a kid - not even camping, not to the beach, not even the park. we had a large family and i was the youngest, so my parents were old and not interested in going anywhere. but that didn't stop me from enjoying the summer. in fact, i didn't miss going on trips because i'd never been on one. what i did for fun was play in the woods, because we had a lot of property, and it was wooded with streams. i dug for salamanders, adopted a young bunny once (let him go- he wasn't lost, just newly let out on his own), had sword-fights with my brother using sticks, played king-of-the-mountain.

the most fun i had, though, was middle to high school aged. my older brother bought me a 10-speed bike and i rode that thing all over to the neighboring towns and up a small mountain, by myself. i discovered small downtowns in small rural villages, and since i live in a historic part of the country, i rode past old farms, mills, and reservoirs. i clocked it with a car one time and found that i'd ridden between 20-35 miles on some of my regular routes. it may sound boring to someone whose never done this, but riding like that is the most exhilarating feeling i've ever had in my life. i rode for years but never had the freedom like i did those summers.

jpevehouse
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I enjoyed going to grandmas house dduring summer vacation. Didnt grow up near water so we went to grandmas house in sommerville and stayed at the lake most of the time

RighteousLove
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 5:50 PM

at that time we lived in louisiana, when i was a kid. most of the summer i looked forward to playing at my favorite park in slidell. i loved playing outside, especially under the sprinklers. seeing a movie every saturday. on rare ocassions we went to walt disney world or over toward the ocean. but at one point i was going with my mom on an airplane all the way to kentucky to go see my grandmother in williamsburg. and that's way smaller compared to louisiana. every summer too. for about a month each time. but i am enjoying it better now because i have an awesome husband and children to share it with. 

UpstateAnnette
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:54 PM

When I was a kid we used to go to Camp Oswagotchie in the Adirondacks.   We would camp out by a lake and most of my cousins would be there.  We would swim, hike and canoe all day.   I remember leaving the watermelon in the lake one morning, to cool it.  We went to another lake to swim or something and came back and someone or something had stolen it.  We had it wrapped in several grocery bags and tied to the shore.  It was probably some canoeists who went by but could have been a bear.   We also went to the dump that was nearby to watch the bears eat...memories.  

Annette(40)Dan(hubby) Rosalynd(7/06)Jeremy(3/08) Isaac(3/10)

hockeymomws
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Quoting Meltopia529:

I miss hanging out at my grandparents the most.

I feel the same exact way! Different times through out the summer i would spend a week at a time with them, we could go swimming and go to ball games..it was so much fun!

CafeMom Tickers
lindilouwho82
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Oh memories, especially summertime ones make me get a little teary eyed missing my youth. But they also help remind me why I love being a mom, what kind of memories I wanna help create for my DD, why I loved being a kid, why my family (dad, mom, sisters, brother) are so awesome.

I lived in a tiny town, about 2500 people, no street lights, no mall, no fast food and about 62 miles away from the above mentioned. Being in such a tight knit community with one public pool, a couple of parks, a small convenience store and an arcade we were forced to entertain ourselves. Which was the funniest part about being a kid in a small town, there were no "cliques", no competition to be popular or to outshine one another.

The memories of Ms. Pac-Man tournaments, learning to play pool, shuffle board and air hockey do not compare to the ones that involve my family. The fishing trips, the homemade ice cream, the drinking from the hose moments that we laugh about 15 years later.

I miss the sun not setting til' well after eight at night, my mom making lemonade and sun tea and reminding use that both were good for our soul. I can't help but desire playing in the sprinkler with my next neighbor and not being a least bit shy about how I looked in a bathing suit. Going to the public pool, getting in for free and only needing a buck for a vanilla ice cream for a treat for on the way home.

Of course I could go on and on about the intimate moments of my youth in the summertime and how when I see a group of kids on bikes laughing and carrying; my memory is a jolted to a simpler more innocent time and place. All I can do now is make sure that when my daughter is my age she feels the same way when she sees the same thing.

alynette
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:59 PM

playing all day, every day outside.....taking vacations, going on road trips to visit family, going on road trips to not visit family LOL  my dad did always insist that we read though to keep our minds sharp for the upcoming school year. one of my favorite summers was when me, my sister and brother would walk to the pool and stay all day there.....that's all we did for the entire summer. it was the best. i would love the re-live my childhood.

hotmommamassey
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 5:56 PM

swimming, theme parks, and fairs

HotmommaMassey                      

Venae
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Sitting on the weeping willow tree in the back field eating watermelon.

Plugging the drain holes in the wagon, filling it w/water and giving each other rides around the neighborhood.

Catching fireflies and being outside late at night.

The best fun - those giant spools that cable comes on - no idea where dad got them but we'd "walk" on them (think log rolling) all over the place.  We saw one today at a construction site and were thinking - how can we get that home!  

Visiting my aunt and cousin in Charleston; she'd rent a cabin at the state park every year.  We took our kids there two years ago and it wasn't the same.  Closed down the swimming hole (too dangerous), the one restaurant had burned down and the bait store (yummy candy and ice cream too) was closed due to budget cuts.  Made me very sad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)