Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Summer Memories and Childhood

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 79 Replies

When I was a kid, we took road trip after road trip during the summer months. I have sharp memories of asking my mom what clothes I should pack, and she replied, "Just dump your short and shirt drawers into your bag. That should be enough."

We spent every summer that we could frolicking with cousins, running like unsupervised wild animals up and down country roads and played so hard that we crashed as soon as we hit the bed.I got to know my cousins, spend time with my grandparents, and learn that chicken doesn't come shrink wrapped in the freezer section for most of the world.

Looking back on it, I realize that my mom was a brave woman to drive halfway across the continent with three girls. I only really came to a more vivid understanding of this last summer, when I took a 2 week road trip from my house in Virginia to my dad's in Texas, with stops along the way in Georgia, Memphis and Mississippi. I'm still not sure how I managed to avoid being committed to a mental hospital after the trip ended.

We've all got our summer memories. Maybe you spent summers at the lake. Maybe you visited loved ones. Or, perhaps you stayed close to home and enjoyed the freedom afforded by the summer months.There's a lot to be said for staying home during the summer months - visiting the pool, water park or beach, or spending time at the library or Recreation center. Most book stores and libraries have summer reading clubs, and there are many local businesses that offer daily deals and inexpensive admission rates - especially valuable on those oppressively hot and/or nasty weather days.

There are an amazing assortment of activities available to fill the summer - there's no excuse for any mom to hear those dreaded words, "I'm bored!"

What are your favorite memories from your summers as a child. What did you do? What do you miss most? With whom did you spend the bulk of your time?

ŠiStockphoto.com/lisegagne

by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mallowcup17
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

mine are very similar to yours. we spent a lot of time outside on our bikes. trips to NH and Maine and we spent a lot of spring and summer with family and extended family for birthdays, events and other things. we have lots of family all along the NorthEast so many road trips were had. 

elasmimi
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 12:31 PM

We lived in such a great little neighborhood. There were about a dozen kids approx the same ages, (more or less) and we played together all summer. Wherever we happened to be around lunchtime, that mom fed us. We stayed outside til dinnertime, came in to eat, help with chores, (no dishwashers) then came out to play again. We caught fireflies, played tag, hopscotch, rode bikes, just all kinds of stuff, nothing pluggd in anywhere. A few years ago, we had a reunion of the neighborhood "kids" It was great!

elasmimi
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

We also went to Florida once a year. Ladies, I'm so old, cars were not air conditioned, no interstates, it was a 2 day trip from Tennessee. No WDW, we went to a small fishing camp my uncle's friend owned. Went deep sea fishing, then came home and ate our catch.

MamaMandee
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Every summer we took 2 major trips. One was to a fair we had a booth at and the other one was a family camp. A ton of friends and family rented out a camp we we would spend a week there. It was so much fun!!! 

Meltopia529
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I miss hanging out at my grandparents the most.

dusky_rose
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 1:20 PM

My summer memories are filled with climbing trees in the woods, going hiking, fishing and camping with my dad and my brothers, and going swimming at the nearby lakes. Yes, I was a tomboy. LOL

amy7243
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 1:21 PM

My cousins and I would always hang out at grandma and grandpas house. I do miss it!!!!

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jun. 6, 2012 at 1:38 PM
We spent most of our summers swimming in my grandparent's pool. My brother, sister and I used to have a blast!
mallowcup17
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 2:36 PM

me too! i was very close to my grandparents and spent many summer days with them!

Quoting Meltopia529:

I miss hanging out at my grandparents the most.

HospitalMama
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I wish that I could say that I do more now as far as vacations as I did as a child. My parents were the same. We would always be going on road trips and staying at the cabin. I feel like now I don't have the time to take off work and afford to go on vacations as much.. It sadens me because I want my son to have the fun vacations I did as a child. Certainly I would if I could but we are lucky if we go once a summer... I feel that there is no time for relaxing anymore. I hope I can find a solution that fits into my schedule. I was thinking something fun to go do in the area every weekend or every other weekend. Any thoughts on ideas? I live in MN so summer time is very valuable : )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN