Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Summer Memories and Childhood

Posted by   + Show Post

When I was a kid, we took road trip after road trip during the summer months. I have sharp memories of asking my mom what clothes I should pack, and she replied, "Just dump your short and shirt drawers into your bag. That should be enough."

We spent every summer that we could frolicking with cousins, running like unsupervised wild animals up and down country roads and played so hard that we crashed as soon as we hit the bed.I got to know my cousins, spend time with my grandparents, and learn that chicken doesn't come shrink wrapped in the freezer section for most of the world.

Looking back on it, I realize that my mom was a brave woman to drive halfway across the continent with three girls. I only really came to a more vivid understanding of this last summer, when I took a 2 week road trip from my house in Virginia to my dad's in Texas, with stops along the way in Georgia, Memphis and Mississippi. I'm still not sure how I managed to avoid being committed to a mental hospital after the trip ended.

We've all got our summer memories. Maybe you spent summers at the lake. Maybe you visited loved ones. Or, perhaps you stayed close to home and enjoyed the freedom afforded by the summer months.There's a lot to be said for staying home during the summer months - visiting the pool, water park or beach, or spending time at the library or Recreation center. Most book stores and libraries have summer reading clubs, and there are many local businesses that offer daily deals and inexpensive admission rates - especially valuable on those oppressively hot and/or nasty weather days.

There are an amazing assortment of activities available to fill the summer - there's no excuse for any mom to hear those dreaded words, "I'm bored!"

What are your favorite memories from your summers as a child. What did you do? What do you miss most? With whom did you spend the bulk of your time?

ŠiStockphoto.com/lisegagne

by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
mamivon2
by Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:34 PM

OMG this sounds like my childhood.. we had 7 boys and 7 girls in our appartment.. all around the same ages.. we played together... and the best part I think now (didnt think that way as a child)all the parents stuck together.. if one needed a babysitter others were there.. nobody was left out in any way... ..

Quoting elasmimi:

We lived in such a great little neighborhood. There were about a dozen kids approx the same ages, (more or less) and we played together all summer. Wherever we happened to be around lunchtime, that mom fed us. We stayed outside til dinnertime, came in to eat, help with chores, (no dishwashers) then came out to play again. We caught fireflies, played tag, hopscotch, rode bikes, just all kinds of stuff, nothing pluggd in anywhere. A few years ago, we had a reunion of the neighborhood "kids" It was great!

Bmat
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I spent my summers with my grandparents.  I enjoyed being with them, swimming.

TheBabyFactory4
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:41 PM
Going on.vacation camping out west
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:43 PM
I've spent a few weeks a few summers with my grandparents. My girls have spent the last week with my parents. I miss them. Get them back tomorrow

Quoting Bmat:

I spent my summers with my grandparents.  I enjoyed being with them, swimming.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gacgbaker
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 6:47 AM

I remember being at home and doing lots of house work- laundry, meals, dishes fell on my sister and I since my mom was running a business for my dad and working as a teacher (she had to go in during the summer for summer school and other things).  While we did laundry my older sister would watch Gone With the Wind and Sound of Music a million times!  I'm not a big movie person to start, but I thought I would go crazy watching them  ;)  It's been a while though, maybe I should rent them for old time sake!  I bet my older kids would enjoy The Sound of Music.  

gacgbaker
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 6:49 AM

Quoting slw123:

Ugh, my memories of road trips with my parents is AWFUL!  My dad was one of those that wouldn't stop for anything.  It didn't matter how bad we had to pee or how hungry we were, he didn't stop until he was good and ready.  The more we cried that we had to pee, the more we got yelled at.  We hated taking trips.  We never had 'fun' trips either, it was always to visit family, usually of the elderly variety.......no kids to play with.

We had more fun at home, we played in the sprinklers and ate popsicles, made forts, etc.

My mom describes road trips with her parents the same way, we never did many as kids, but we take our kids on tons and I have to say my husband is excellent at stopping and not complaining about it.  

hunterskysmom
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 7:45 AM
I did this most of the time but I also went and spent time with my cousins

Quoting Meltopia529:

I miss hanging out at my grandparents the most.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SabrinaLC
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 7:59 AM

I don't really have summer memories from when I was a child.  They honestly weren't anything special.  :-/

I'm working on awesome memories with my kids :-)

JakesMom712
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 8:05 AM
Every summer, the day after school ended, we'd drive from phila to va. We always stopped at the Maryland house to snack. It was tradition. Once in va, it was our (kids) time. We went fishing, ran round barefoot, played with cousins. My older brothers got to ride dirtbikes. By the time i was old enough, it no longer interested me. We had 40 acres of nothing to explore. Once we found a bird's nest with baby birds. Then i grew up and bugs, fish, quiet and mosquitos no longer interested me. Now id give anything to have those summers back
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ScrChk23
by Bronze Member on Jun. 7, 2012 at 8:05 AM
Every year my family went to a lake cottage in Michigan with friends I my mom and dad a d their kids. We played 'titantic' with the boats, went fishing, swimming, indian store (big general store with souvenirs), had campfires, and more. It was awesome!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)