Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Summer Memories and Childhood

Posted by   + Show Post

When I was a kid, we took road trip after road trip during the summer months. I have sharp memories of asking my mom what clothes I should pack, and she replied, "Just dump your short and shirt drawers into your bag. That should be enough."

We spent every summer that we could frolicking with cousins, running like unsupervised wild animals up and down country roads and played so hard that we crashed as soon as we hit the bed.I got to know my cousins, spend time with my grandparents, and learn that chicken doesn't come shrink wrapped in the freezer section for most of the world.

Looking back on it, I realize that my mom was a brave woman to drive halfway across the continent with three girls. I only really came to a more vivid understanding of this last summer, when I took a 2 week road trip from my house in Virginia to my dad's in Texas, with stops along the way in Georgia, Memphis and Mississippi. I'm still not sure how I managed to avoid being committed to a mental hospital after the trip ended.

We've all got our summer memories. Maybe you spent summers at the lake. Maybe you visited loved ones. Or, perhaps you stayed close to home and enjoyed the freedom afforded by the summer months.There's a lot to be said for staying home during the summer months - visiting the pool, water park or beach, or spending time at the library or Recreation center. Most book stores and libraries have summer reading clubs, and there are many local businesses that offer daily deals and inexpensive admission rates - especially valuable on those oppressively hot and/or nasty weather days.

There are an amazing assortment of activities available to fill the summer - there's no excuse for any mom to hear those dreaded words, "I'm bored!"

What are your favorite memories from your summers as a child. What did you do? What do you miss most? With whom did you spend the bulk of your time?

ŠiStockphoto.com/lisegagne

by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
ScrChk23
by Bronze Member on Jun. 7, 2012 at 8:06 AM
My birthday and my mom's birthdays are in July too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 8:37 AM

I remember going up to California with my dad before he got sick and we would go investigate the old caves they had up there in the mountains. It was so fun. I miss him :(

KyKosMommy
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 1:21 AM
We did tons of things. Swimming at the park, going camping at Lake Erie, visiting relatives in Pennsylvania, going to Geauga Lake, Sea World, Cedar Point, Disney World, Hilton Head, the county fair, my birthday, local festivals, drive in movies, park & rec adventures, fireworks, on & on. I had a great childhood.
Momof3smoochies
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 3:05 AM
I just loved being outside. My sisters would blast the stereo and I was outside all day. Playing, riding my bike and then getting in water balloon fights or getting wet with the waterhose. Then when we moved to san diego into a house with a pool. All my cousins would come over and they would swim all day. But it wasn't as much fun cause by then my mom was a sahm and she wouldn't let me swim cause I was too fat for a bathing suit. As much as I love being a mother and wife. I miss those days.
JACAR2010
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:37 AM
I loved going to the library and checking out 12 books and having the time to read them all!!!!!!
allison37
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I noticed most of these posts are about spending time with family and friends--not elaborate vacation destinations.  My family usually travelled to FL once a year, but like most of you I remember playing outside with my cousins, catching fireflys and playing kick the can! 

snakesNsnails
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Playing outside all day everyday with all the neighbor kids..we rode our bikes, played in our creek, climbed trees, played every sport possible, went camping and fishing, spent many days with cousins and grandparents...it was a wonderful, carefree time!! 

marcie1455
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I use to love sitting outside on the deck with my family for weekend BBQ's, with music and fresh made lemonade!  We would have a blast!  

SummersAngel84
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I miss camping with the family, going to the big the Water park (Noah's Ark), fishing with my dad and brothers, and just being a kid going around the city with my friends on our bikes getting ice cream and stuff. 

lisaann67
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Sounds familiar. We lived in Ireland when I was young. Every Sunday we met other family members at the seashore.We all took the train from our various homes all over the city & met up for picnics on the sand.  All the cousins would be there. It was so much fun. One cousin who is almost 70 now is coming from Ireland to our home in PA this summer for a visit. I cannot wait.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)