Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Summer Memories and Childhood

Posted by   + Show Post

When I was a kid, we took road trip after road trip during the summer months. I have sharp memories of asking my mom what clothes I should pack, and she replied, "Just dump your short and shirt drawers into your bag. That should be enough."

We spent every summer that we could frolicking with cousins, running like unsupervised wild animals up and down country roads and played so hard that we crashed as soon as we hit the bed.I got to know my cousins, spend time with my grandparents, and learn that chicken doesn't come shrink wrapped in the freezer section for most of the world.

Looking back on it, I realize that my mom was a brave woman to drive halfway across the continent with three girls. I only really came to a more vivid understanding of this last summer, when I took a 2 week road trip from my house in Virginia to my dad's in Texas, with stops along the way in Georgia, Memphis and Mississippi. I'm still not sure how I managed to avoid being committed to a mental hospital after the trip ended.

We've all got our summer memories. Maybe you spent summers at the lake. Maybe you visited loved ones. Or, perhaps you stayed close to home and enjoyed the freedom afforded by the summer months.There's a lot to be said for staying home during the summer months - visiting the pool, water park or beach, or spending time at the library or Recreation center. Most book stores and libraries have summer reading clubs, and there are many local businesses that offer daily deals and inexpensive admission rates - especially valuable on those oppressively hot and/or nasty weather days.

There are an amazing assortment of activities available to fill the summer - there's no excuse for any mom to hear those dreaded words, "I'm bored!"

What are your favorite memories from your summers as a child. What did you do? What do you miss most? With whom did you spend the bulk of your time?

ŠiStockphoto.com/lisegagne

by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-60):
GingerNeeSmith
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:18 PM

We went camping all the time...DH & I take the kids it's a fun thing to do & it takes me back. We haven't gone to the main place we always went because since I have lost both parents DH is scared I will cry the entire time.

missdollysmommy
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I'm so glad you asked this!  My best memories of summer are when I was in a marching band.  We competed every weekend and also did parades.  My band manager was Mr. B.   I loved him like he was my own father.  The night shows on Saturday's were the best.  There was such love in the band and I had a great time.  I wouldn't trade those weekends for anything. We had all day drills.  I started out carrying the American Flag and then went to playing the flute.  We could belong till we were twenty five and then we aged out.  When Mr. B passed away, I cried so much.  It was like losing a father. The only one I cried more for when she died was my mother.    If there would be any time in my life that I could go back to, it would be then.  Thanks for asking this question. 

Sonflower71
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM

As a child we would go just north of Montezuma, In and go to this covered bridge. Sugar creek flows under this bridge, it is pretty big and deep river. Depending on the depth of water we would either fish, or go swimming. Often we camped here, and had a cook out during the summer. I miss those days.

ashleywagoner
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Visiting my Nanny and Papaw in Florida and going to the beach, weenie roasts in our backyard, going to the pool

Hyman
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I love the memory of us (my mom and a sibling) at the beacch on a blanket in the sand eating fried chicken together :) Why is that such a fond memory? lol ...

Kmakksmom
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 2:56 AM

I spent a lot of time with my BFF, my mom and my grandparents.

momma2bubbas
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 10:31 AM

playing in the waves at the beach.

camping in the mountains

MentorMom1
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 3:19 PM

My favorite memory has to be smelling the pollution from all the factories. Ahh, the memories come rushing back. Come to think of it, those factories - Goodall Rubber, Stangl Pottery, Horseman Doll, Roebling Steel, and so many more - actually provided a living wage so moms could stay home and raise their kids (my aunt, though, she used to paint the lips on dolls). Then the EPA got after them, and then GATT and NAFTA passed, and the old Industrial Revolution technology was obsolete and they stopped producing or moved overseas. Funny how the pollution went away. I don't live there anymore, but everytime I go back, and think about all the summers when kids played in the backyard under the sprinker, or played in the street until the streetlights came, and mom was always there to put band-aids on the boo-boos, I miss that  smell.

Tracys2
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I was always at the pool when I lived in Virginia, but I think the best days were when it stormed and we'd have ot close up. Even though I was only 9 or 10, the lifeguards would let me hang out with them and play poker or whatever while we waited for the storm to pass- I was a good card player. Kid heaven!

Another year, I went to a summer activity camp- in my grade school! I'd leave home (alone), walk a mile or more through the forest to my school, and they let us roller skate around the building and do fun games and leave at any time. What a mix of freedoms, so fantastic at 10! (10 was a great age)

When we were older, we'd go to Lake Powell every year. It was a 2 day drive, but we'd see our family friends, and for me, having friends that I loved from year to year into adulthood (2 kids, 2 adults) was amazing- it didn't happen elsewhere- and we'd be happy, amidst the most beautiful scenery anywhere,  listen to the same music (and some new), and waterski, and play card games with that special joy you get from an uncomplicated, strong friendship- then at night, we'd sit in a canyon under the stars looking up at the sky together, and sometiems listening to Terrell play saxophone, sometimes listening to music, sometimes just chatting and enjoying ourselves. My family was very stressful 51 weeks of the year-- but there, we all wanted to be together amidst the beauty and excitement, and almost every interaction was positive and relaxed... Sublime!

BeiberHATER
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:02 PM
Hopping in the car just me and dad in the white Bonneville heading to NEW YORK to see my sisters. Every once in a while my mom would come along, but I always had such a great time when it was just the two of us.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN