Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Summer Memories and Childhood

Posted by   + Show Post

When I was a kid, we took road trip after road trip during the summer months. I have sharp memories of asking my mom what clothes I should pack, and she replied, "Just dump your short and shirt drawers into your bag. That should be enough."

We spent every summer that we could frolicking with cousins, running like unsupervised wild animals up and down country roads and played so hard that we crashed as soon as we hit the bed.I got to know my cousins, spend time with my grandparents, and learn that chicken doesn't come shrink wrapped in the freezer section for most of the world.

Looking back on it, I realize that my mom was a brave woman to drive halfway across the continent with three girls. I only really came to a more vivid understanding of this last summer, when I took a 2 week road trip from my house in Virginia to my dad's in Texas, with stops along the way in Georgia, Memphis and Mississippi. I'm still not sure how I managed to avoid being committed to a mental hospital after the trip ended.

We've all got our summer memories. Maybe you spent summers at the lake. Maybe you visited loved ones. Or, perhaps you stayed close to home and enjoyed the freedom afforded by the summer months.There's a lot to be said for staying home during the summer months - visiting the pool, water park or beach, or spending time at the library or Recreation center. Most book stores and libraries have summer reading clubs, and there are many local businesses that offer daily deals and inexpensive admission rates - especially valuable on those oppressively hot and/or nasty weather days.

There are an amazing assortment of activities available to fill the summer - there's no excuse for any mom to hear those dreaded words, "I'm bored!"

What are your favorite memories from your summers as a child. What did you do? What do you miss most? With whom did you spend the bulk of your time?

ŠiStockphoto.com/lisegagne

by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (61-70):
JdeMartin
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Summers are rich in my memories of childhood: when Dad has time to play and we go to new and familiar places.  Exotic destinations like Florida. (Exotic to kids, kind of muggy and buggy as an adult).Swimming, biking, hiking, fishing, etc.

Even if we have a slow Saturday afternoon now though we try and make Summer memories as often as we can. We're paying for vacation year round (yes, paying for it and getting it) here in San Diego, so we Staycation on a budget.

Found some good kids activity ideas here that work for kids of all ages. http://www.kidpointz.com/kids-activities

ColtsFan1912
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 8:55 PM

So many! :)

I remember going out in the twilight & catching lightning bugs with my sister & brother. We use to love going out at that time of day & try to scare each other. We'd catch lightning bugs & lay in the grass & just watch the sky turn dark & the stars slowly star to appear. I remember wishing upon the first star (haha usually Venus though) to show it's face.

I remember getting up early, just as the sun was rising. We would quickly get ready & go outdoors to play. I remember shorts & tanktops & being barefoot.  We had a small backyard with woods behind our house. It was a lot of pinetrees & there was a lot of clearning among it. Every summer we would go back there with rakes & rake out our "house".

I remember riding my bike so fast, with my long hair flying behind me, letting go of the handle bars , closing my eyes & feeling like I could fly.

We use to love going to Lake Michigan & play in the waves. When we couldn't convince our parents to take us there we'd turn on the sprinklers &  pretend to swim, usually making up songs about how bad we wanted to be at Lake Michigan.

I remember spelling our names with sparklers. 

momtolittleones
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 9:13 PM

roller skating, bike riding

Jesus is my Saviour!!!!!!!!!!!

babynurse244
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Homemade popsicles.

Staying out past dark and playing in the street.

Running through the sprinklers.

MSmama_x3
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:08 AM

I'm from Georgia, but moved to FL in the 4th grade and that's where I was until 10th grade.

On the last day of school every year, my grandparents would come from Georgia and pick my sister and I up from school. We spent every summer with them.
My granddaddy had us shoveling & sweeping the horse barn, tack house, feeding the piegons, chickens, geese, dogs, cows, goats and potbellied pigs.
We dug new potatoes in the garden, starting bright and early every morning for a week straight. Shucked corn, creamed corn, canned tomatoes, made jelly, made cornmeal & syrup.
I have a lot of fond memories with my sister at livestock sales, riding our grandaddy's Gator, making a slip & slide out of our trampoline.

There were a ton of kids in my school who were so into video games and such, but I couldn't tell you what they were. Everything we did was outside and we LOVED every minute. I look back now and see all that "work" we used to do, was really just memories in the making.
My husband and I are trying to buy a house now that has 30 acres. I want our three kids to have the same experience.

wooly
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 1:01 AM

My brother and i spent from the day after school let out till the day before school started w/ our Grandparents.  We had cousins there to play with and because we went every summer, we also had our own friends. It was the best time of my life!!

sheila5745
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 8:41 AM

When I was a kid. I lived by a lake, I had 2 sisters and 8 brothers. Yep, big family.. But we sure knew how to have fun.There were so many of us, we had our own regular spot in the water and sand. We made all kinds of sand things and tried to beat the next guy's creation.  We didn't any computer or game boy to keep us entertained. Then every summer we headed to see grandpa, what fun we had climbing the hay stacks (should say trying) Hiding in the corn, we had alot of fun going through the corn field. I have raised 2 kids and working on a 3rd 1. Don't know what I was thinking as the oldest are 35 son and 33 daughter and now a 13 year old. My 2 oldest were so active with sports, I do not even remember the tv being on and they didn't have game boys or computer at home. It was great and now I have to unplug the tv and the wii to get her to do almost anything. (She does have autism with MR. but she still needs to play.. She does play baseball. I guess that's it.. Thanks for reading. Look forward to reading more on this.. Any ideas to get the 13, (with a mind of a 4 yr. old) off the tv.. Thanks Sheila

Italiancouture7
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I wish I could say I had good childhood memories but alas I do not... Its really nice to read what good memories really are. I hope I can help my daughter to have wonderful childhood memories!!!

brandoneaglemom
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Catching lightning bugs, being aloud to stay out a little bit at night to do that.....cook outs, roasting hotdogs and marshmallows by the firepit, visting family,and remembering how fun it was to enjoy the most simplest moments in life......no cell phones, games, computers.....and how lucky i was to be able to have had those blissful special moments in life bc it makes me appreciate what life was really about.

brandoneaglemom
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 12:35 AM

walking to the store to get my pop!! and turning in glass bottles for money to buy some pop..ha. oh and poprocks!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN