Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When I was a little girl, my dad was the King of the World. He was the strongest man, the smartest man, the one guy who could do virtually anything that I wanted or needed. He knew all of the answers, sometimes before I asked the questions. He was the end all, be all. He knew everything.

When I was a teenager, my dad was the dumbest, most annoying person that ever lived. His ideas were old fashioned and archaic and there was no way in the world I was going to do the things that he wanted me to do - they were ridiculously outdated. He didn't know anything.

Now that I have kids, I can see that my dad was really smart and ahead of the game on many subjects, but not everything. He's a great guy who has always been there for me - even when I was too self absorbed to listen. With age comes wisdom, and all that jazz - although, with all of you as my witness, I will never enjoy fishing, no matter how many times I try.

There were some things that my dad was spot on about, and some that he wasn't. I will publicly admit that cleaning as you go when you cook means that the kitchen isn't a mess when the meal is ready - a concept I fought bitterly until I was about 30. It's also a good idea to wipe behind the canisters and such that live on your countertop, and keeping your wash loads current does mena that you won't be searching for that special shirt five minutes before you are set to walk out the door.I will also admit that it's been handy to have those jumper cables in the back of my car, and sunscreen is something I should use routinely.

I will never admit to the superiority of college football over professional. I stand by my logic that I don't need to know how to change the oil in my car. Hunting and fishing are two things I'll never seek out, but it's awesome to know that he can teach my kids these somewhat forgotten activites.

What's your fondest memory of your dad or other father figure? What lessons did you learn from him and how do you apply those today?

ŠiStockphoto.com/SergiyN

by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-33):
SabrinaLC
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Same here :-(

Even now he's just not around for his kids.

Quoting elasmimi:

Unfortunately I don't have many memories at all. Even before he and my mom divorced, he was not a big presence in my life.

***Sabrina *~* wife to Matt  8/6/05*~*Mommy to Isaac 7/25/06, *~*Liam 7/30/08, *~* and Eban 6/24/10***

ziggynano
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 6:55 PM

my dads always been my hero my moms a bit off and on in the loopy department (no offense intended) but she was always more concerned with her self so my dad kinda filled in the whole hoopla of it all  it was nice to at least have one normal parent i could turn to i get my personality from him he taught me how to calm cool and collected

Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 5:52 AM

My dad passed away when I was 11, so most of the memories I have of him are when he was sick. It was so hard to watch him slowly get worse and then he was gone from my life. That was the worst time of my life :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)