Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

When I was a little girl, my dad was the King of the World. He was the strongest man, the smartest man, the one guy who could do virtually anything that I wanted or needed. He knew all of the answers, sometimes before I asked the questions. He was the end all, be all. He knew everything.

When I was a teenager, my dad was the dumbest, most annoying person that ever lived. His ideas were old fashioned and archaic and there was no way in the world I was going to do the things that he wanted me to do - they were ridiculously outdated. He didn't know anything.

Now that I have kids, I can see that my dad was really smart and ahead of the game on many subjects, but not everything. He's a great guy who has always been there for me - even when I was too self absorbed to listen. With age comes wisdom, and all that jazz - although, with all of you as my witness, I will never enjoy fishing, no matter how many times I try.

There were some things that my dad was spot on about, and some that he wasn't. I will publicly admit that cleaning as you go when you cook means that the kitchen isn't a mess when the meal is ready - a concept I fought bitterly until I was about 30. It's also a good idea to wipe behind the canisters and such that live on your countertop, and keeping your wash loads current does mena that you won't be searching for that special shirt five minutes before you are set to walk out the door.I will also admit that it's been handy to have those jumper cables in the back of my car, and sunscreen is something I should use routinely.

I will never admit to the superiority of college football over professional. I stand by my logic that I don't need to know how to change the oil in my car. Hunting and fishing are two things I'll never seek out, but it's awesome to know that he can teach my kids these somewhat forgotten activites.

What's your fondest memory of your dad or other father figure? What lessons did you learn from him and how do you apply those today?

ŠiStockphoto.com/SergiyN

by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
ceciliam
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:04 AM

So sorry:(   My mom passed a way when I was two.

Quoting daerca574:

sadly, my father passed when I was only 5.  The only memories I have wer of us riding horses and eating lemondrops. 

ceciliam
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:05 AM

That's great that your Dad was so involved!

Quoting mallowcup17:

the advice he has given me and the time he spent coaching my various sports teams and coming to all my stuff as a child..

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:06 AM

I have to many to count. I sure do miss him.

ceciliam
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:06 AM

That's awesome! My Dad was the same way:)

Quoting Bmat:

That Dad said that girls could choose any profession they wanted and that they should get some kind of job training because even if they wanted to stay at home with the children they should be able to support the family.

KaylaMillar
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:07 AM
My dad taking us to te parks an zoo. He was a great dad!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leelee1008
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:09 AM

my dad passed away last year, we really werent close at all. My Grandfather was my dad growing up. He is the one who would give us horsey rides on his back in the living room when we were kids, he was the one who bought our christmas presents. My most fondest memories that always stick out to me are of christmas time. It is my favorite time of the year so it is only fitting that my strongest memories are of that time. we used to go pick out the tree together every year, we would always pick out a different tree and I would argue my point that my tree was better, he eventually would cave and always said it was a nice tree. That tought me to always fight for what I knew what was right.

Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I have so many fond memories of my Daddy and I since I am a Daddy's girl but one of my favorite is when we had homecoming at our school and the girls all decided that we wanted our Dad's to be our "dates" and that is the night I won homecoming queen.  I couldn't have picked a better "date" to share my special night with.

I learned alot of lessons from him but one would be to always do your best at everything in life that you do.  

LuvingRN
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 11:28 AM
I dont have a lot of good memories of my dad. He suffered from PSTD from the Vietnam war so he was either always drinking or stoned. He didnt quit all that till I was in highschool and by that time I had pretty much seperated myself from him and was invo lved in friends & school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starreyedcutie
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Omg that's awesome!

Quoting black.eyeliner:

The day he got custody of me ... which is the day I met him. I was 11 and needed a hero. That was him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starreyedcutie
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 11:46 AM
I guess my dad teaching me how to shoot a pistol....but i don't have a lot of good memories :( its sad
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)