Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son witnessed another parent punch someone else's child...

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:36 AM
  • 18 Replies
1 mom liked this
This whole situation bothers me and want to know what others think. Here's the situation: my son and his friend were at another friends house. So, three 12 yr old boys playing at one's home. My sons friend, that doesn't live there, had a "situation" with his underwear after riding a bike with a seat too small. The father of the boy that lived there was looking out the window and saw something that he may or may not have misinterpreted. (nothing bad, just had his shorts unbuttoned, but no "privates" exposed, doesn't really matter though) because the dad came out yelling profanity at him, and then walked up and PUNCHED this kid hard in the chest. My son got really scared and called me. He said he didn't know if he should call me or the police. So I immediately drove to pick both boys up, on the way I called the kid's dad to tell them what was going on, that his kid got punched by an adult. And as if things weren't bad enough, he said to me, "Well, I'm going to have to hear his (the other Dad's) side of the story.". And then asked me what did I hear. I was FLOORED by his response and I told him it didnt really matter to me what his story was because if he had punched MY son, I would have immediately called the police but they would likely have had to first physically pry me off that dad before they could arrest him.
I know that the dad that punched the 12 yr old boy (HARD) should have been arrested and charges filed. But I also know that the dad of the kid that got punched, also physically abuses his boy. My son has told me of several incidences before, which I never doubted, though never witnessed, but his response to his kid being punched confirms it. We live in an upper mid-class neighborhood where things like this don't happen, and if they do, we ignore it because everyone has a reputation to hide behind. I call BULLSHIT!
I'm sure the other parents won't press charges. Nothing's going to happen, no one will be held accountable, and I'm going to have a hard time holding my tongue next time I see this idiot at a school function.
I feel like its none of my business or is it???? If I happen to be a teacher, I would be required to report it, right? What would you do?

"It's not the evil people in the world that scares me, it's the ones that don't do anything about it."
~ Albert Einstein
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DarlaHood
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:10 AM
3 moms liked this

I would have called the police.  Adult men have no business punching or bullying 12 year old boys.  That is B.S., and it is unacceptable.  However, if you tell a teacher, or any mandated reporter, they would have to make a report.

SabrinaLC
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:09 AM

The police should have been called.  :-(

Meltopia529
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I also would have called the police.

DBROWNCHAT
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I STRONGLY BELIEVE THAT WE HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO MAKE IT OUR BUSINESS WHEN THERE IS A CHILD INVOLVED! IF THE CHILD DOES GET ABUSED AT HOME, AND THEN ALSO BY ANOTHER PARENT OF ANOTHER CHILD... THEN WHAT SENSE OF WORTH DOES THIS CHILD PROBABLY HAVE ABOUT HIMSELF? NO CHILD SHOULD EVER BE HIT ON OR MADE TO FEEL THIS WAY.

sarahmiamaria
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Anonymously report it to child services if you are worried about retaliation. You will feel much better won't you?
Luv.My.Kidz
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I would still call the police.... period

LuvingRN
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Police definitnely would have been called

kaye_kymom
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:14 PM

this is absolutley RIDICULOUS! cops should have been called any way you look at it, its child abuse!

hunterskysmom
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM
I agree with the other ladies call the police no kid deverse that
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ginnymarie33
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM
The kids dad is probably scared of the other dad. Sissy .
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)