Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

strangers correcting kids

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 1:07 PM
  • 23 Replies

what do you think of someone(stranger) who believes they have a right to correct your kids behavior if they dont think you do did a good enough job correcting the behavior

Diana

mom to*** Audree(12/27/2007) **charlotte(11/12/2010)

by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hunterskysmom
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 3:13 PM
I better not see it happening or I would go off asking what their problem is
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WeepingWillowMe
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 3:41 PM
3 moms liked this

I think the situation depends....If I have already corrected the behavior whatever it may be and it is no longer continuing then there is no reason someone should step in! Even if you didn't like my tactic.However if I have tried to tell my child to behave and they continue and the stranger is telling my children gently to correct themselves. I see no harm,it takes village to raise children and I feel if someone tells my child,then they might learn quicker that I am not making up rules to be mean.We all have to behave in public with a certain demeanor.I DO NOT (and this has happen to me) that a stranger should ever yell or physically correct a child NO MATTER WHAT!!

xxMocahFrappxx
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Quoting hunterskysmom:

I better not see it happening or I would go off asking what their problem is
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Audreesmommy757
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

no one has the right to correct my child...unless its family...come find me and i will take care of it and if you dont like they way i handled then tough...my child..not yours..

sweetlyblissful
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 5:22 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree.

Quoting WeepingWillowMe:

I think the situation depends....If I have already corrected the behavior whatever it may be and it is no longer continuing then there is no reason someone should step in! Even if you didn't like my tactic.However if I have tried to tell my child to behave and they continue and the stranger is telling my children gently to correct themselves. I see no harm,it takes village to raise children and I feel if someone tells my child,then they might learn quicker that I am not making up rules to be mean.We all have to behave in public with a certain demeanor.I DO NOT (and this has happen to me) that a stranger should ever yell or physically correct a child NO MATTER WHAT!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SabrinaLC
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:49 PM

I would never do that to someone and would hope that someone would have enough respect for my family not to do it to us.

But I suppose if it's a situation where what I'm doing isn't working and they have a friendly way of handling it then it's okay.  Like they could come up and talk to my kid and be all like, "Hey, why don't you listen to your momma..."  lol  Okay... if they were more of a distraction type thing then it's okay.  But they don't need to come up and do it rudely.

Audreesmommy757
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:53 PM

i agree!!

Quoting SabrinaLC:

I would never do that to someone and would hope that someone would have enough respect for my family not to do it to us.

But I suppose if it's a situation where what I'm doing isn't working and they have a friendly way of handling it then it's okay.  Like they could come up and talk to my kid and be all like, "Hey, why don't you listen to your momma..."  lol  Okay... if they were more of a distraction type thing then it's okay.  But they don't need to come up and do it rudely.

terri76
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Hmmmmm i would hope that no one would do that. I would never step in and do that to a stranger..but if they want to come up to me and maybe give a few pointers that might be ok.

LovingTheseTwo
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:01 PM
It really annoys me when people we don't know step in and say something. It has not happened often but just randomly. We went to a dress store to buy my 3 mo old a baptism gown. My 2 1/2 yo did not nap that day and was completely restless. I was fumbling back and forth between comforting the infant, scanning through the dresses and following my son around the store telling him to stay right next to me. It was a damn disaster.

Well finally a woman in the store came up to my son and said in a brash tone, "Hey buddy, you need to go and sit down right in that chair over there. This is not the type of place for you to be wandering around in." then she looked at me and said, "He sure is a handful."

I felt awkward and like crap of course. I do not believe in spanking or hitting my child. I am not making excuses for him but he is not a robot that just sits and waits for me when I tell him to. He was tired, irritable and bored as he'll in the dress store.

I hate when people take it out on him. I know it is my fault for putting him in the situation in the first place. It is also funny how people forget that toddlers are just kids. They have short attention spans.

"They may forget what you've said, but they'll never forget how you made them feel. "  ~Anonymous

Meltopia529
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I find it annoying!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)