Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Mom, The Disciplinarian

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 30 Replies

Often, Mom can wear many shirts. Mom is a cook, a chauffeur, a teacher and a friend. She can be a sounding board, a peace maker, a calm force during a troubled time. What Mom is most often known for is most probably her least favorite job - Disciplinarian. No one likes to lay down the law, no one likes to enforce the rules - but like it or now, it must be done. It's a job that no one enjoys, but it can be a bit more entertaining when you find your child's actions humorous or memorable. 

My daughter was about three years old, and we had invited a friend over for dinner. I sat a plate of shrimp cocktail in front of our friend as we sat down to dinner, and my daughter climbed up into the seat next to him. We talked for a few minutes, and it never occurred to me to keep an eye on my daughter. When a break in the conversation opened up, my little girl tugged on our guests sleeve. "Mister! Mister!" she exclaimed, and pointed at his plate. "Don't eat the tails!"

She'd craftily and carefully reached under his arm as we'd been chatting, and eaten all of the shrimp off his pate - returning the tails back to his plate. We all burst into laughter, but I didn't want her to feel as if this was behavior to repeat.

Fortunately, she's 14 now, and she sticks to eating from her own plate only.

It's a funny story, although it doesn't paint either of us in the best light - but tales of necessary discipline rarely do. It's not often that discipline and humor can meld together, but when a moment of difficulty can be lightened with laughter it makes the day just a bit brighter.

What's the funniest or most memorable bit of mischief your kid(s) have gotten into? How did you handle the situation? What lessons were you able to teach your kids about right and wrong through the situation?

ŠiStockphoto.com/claudiad

by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mallowcup17
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 8:36 AM

my kids get into quite a bit of mischief...like pouring water all over the floor when they insisted on getting it themselves, this is when we further imparted them asking before they do something. thankfully it was just water and not OJ or something LOL

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 8:51 AM

My kids are awful with egss. If they are in the fridge they will find them and break at least 2.

Audreesmommy757
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 9:01 AM

audree was aittle over a year and she got ahod of the diaper creme and painted everything with it

goddess99
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 9:18 AM

I can't remember there have been so many but this house is nothing but redirection all day for the last 9 years.

Bmat
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 9:21 AM

When I spent the day baking a multigrain loaf of bread- carefully gathering the ingredients,  kneading,  the rising. I pulled the baked loaf out of the oven to cool on the countertop and found my 3 year old just couldn't resist and had pulled the top half of the loaf off and ate it.  I told him he shouldn't have done it, but it was hard to keep from laughing.

daerca574
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I recall just recently my son and husband went fishing.  When they got home, my husband pulled out a 40 lb catfish.  My son looks at me all excited and says " Holy Shit! Look at that Monster Fish!"  I dies laughing knowing good and well, he must have overheard his dad say that!  I had to collect myself and remind him that we don't say those kinds of words.

daerca574
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I recall once my son unloaded 3 dozen eggs onto my dining room/kitchen floor in the middle of the night.  He was really bad about sleepwalking and had attempted this several times.  Needless to say we had to put a lock on the fridge!

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

My kids are awful with egss. If they are in the fridge they will find them and break at least 2.

ceciliam
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 9:48 AM

My son hasn't done anything that bad yet, that would make it memorable. Just your typical mischief:)

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jun. 27, 2012 at 9:53 AM
I can't really think of anything...
Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 10:31 AM

too many to name!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)