Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

She was arrested for holding a sign that read speed trap!!!

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:59 PM
  • 13 Replies
Yep you read it right mommas!!!

A makeshift sign used to warn drivers of a speed trap landed a Houston woman in jail last week.

Natalie Plummer was riding her bicycle home from the grocery store when she noticed several cars beng pulled over for speeding. Hoping to save a few drivers from a potentially pricey ticket, she turned one of her paper bags into a sign that warned of the waiting police ahead.

While she was doing so, an officer pulled up and arrested her.

"I was completely abiding by the law," she told KRTK. "I was simply warning citizens of a situation ahead."

The Houston police, however, were not amused by her tactics and arrested her for, believe it or not, "standing in the street where a sidewalk is present," an offense that not only sounds ridiculous, but that Plummer also denies even doing.

"He couldn't take me to jail for holding up this sign or he would have. So all he could do was make up something fake about it," she said.

The officer also searched her backpack and threatened to arrest her for obstruction of justice, a much more serious charge, Plummer alleges.

She was held in jail for 12 hours until she posted bond and is scheduled to appear in court for her misdemeanor charge in the near furture.

What's next???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mysticalmalissa
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Here in TN you can get in trouble for giving cop warnings, such as flashing your headlights.

Meltopia529
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 10:46 PM
that is crazy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terri76
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 11:33 PM
That is crazy. I read about this...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marilynn24
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Same in Florida.

hunterskysmom
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 3:22 PM
Its crazy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Delirium003
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 8:43 PM

That's nuts.  I'd be thanking her, if I were a speeding motorist.

0Kit0
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Nah, the gov't wants people to speed so they can make $$$$$.

SabrinaLC
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Yeah, it's ridiculous, she shouldn't have been arrested.  A warning would have been good enough.

Sometimes people don't deserve a warning if they're speeding.  They are knowingly breaking the law so shouldn't be surprised when they get caught.

MamaMacLaren
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 8:49 AM

I had no idea that was a no-no. I thought it was just frowned upon. 

Lordgodempress
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 8:52 AM

while I think it would easier to just not speed, I also think that by warning people about police will cause them to slow down and drive safer, something I would want in my town.  This is just a matter of police not getting their money

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN